Glass bar manufacturer?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Cartwright Thompson

Glass bar manufacturer?

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

I bought this bar here on the forum and really like it. Can anyone tell me me who might have made it? It’s about 3 1/2” x 7/8”
Thanks

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Possibly a crystal glass bar from Diamond?

https://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/Deba ... harya.html
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

Thanks Jon, that looks like it might the one
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

fwiw, I've got a blue crystal Diamond bar -- not signature series -- and it does not have a hollowed out end. So either they've changed, the signature series is different from the regular, or we're looking at another maker.
Jouni Karvonen

Post by Jouni Karvonen »

Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Loni Spector used to build those Slipperyslides in that fashion too. Dig that peppermint stick look.
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Another ‘glassy’ option is this Luns Salida stone slide from Rocky Mountain slides. Some near transparent Colorado stone. I cannot say if it more or less fragile than glass. Great tone
Larry Pogreba Baritone 'Weissenheimer
Lazy River mahogany standard Weiss
Lazy River ‘Tear Drop” weissenborn
Larrivee OM5
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

I have a Silica Sound #114 that's brass filled glass and it's great, nice tone and easy to hold. Check out their site.
Ian McWee

Post by Ian McWee »

Hi All,

That is indeed one of our Diamond Bottlenecks Red 'swirl' solid crystal tone-bars.

Jon ~ if the blue bar doesn't have an indent on the base end it's not one of ours - the only way this could occur is if you bought it used and the original owner specified no indent to be added. ;-)

We have a totally new, heavy solid glass tone-bar range up on our website following the retirement of our original maker, & Jouni has the very first piece from this range. Please feel free to check out the new bar range on our site.

Cheers all ~ with best regards,

Ian (Diamond Bottlenecks)
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Hey Ian. I definitely bought "a" bar from you quite a while ago. I also inherited a bunch of miscellaneous non-steel bars last year from my dear friend Stu (to confuse matters).
On closer inspection I see that there is an indent which is filled with...something. Epoxy?
I'm pretty sure this is one of your Diamonds.
None of which is important....sorry for the drift.
Ian McWee

Post by Ian McWee »

Hey Jon!

Great to hear back from you ~ no my friend, we've never added epoxy or any other 'non-glass' product inside our bars.

Is the bar you have a 'swirl' pattern similar to the OP's photo or plain 'un-patterned' - if it's patterned then that 'epoxy' will be the center glass 'core'.

Hope this helps Jon ~ with best regards,

Ian.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Ian -- we pursue this out of curiosity on both of our parts --

This bar is 3.5" long x .94" wide and weighs 4 oz (114g).
The messy appearance of the filler was from me poking at a tiny void with a sharp object resulting in some chipping of the filler substance. Because poking at unknown substances with sharp objects is always a smart thing to do.

Ian McWee

Post by Ian McWee »

Hi Jon!

Oh my ~ that is indeed one of ours!! 8)

We occasionally have visiting glass-blowers using the facilities here in our Glass Center & they pop into our workshop to check out the services we offer to the glass industry. A couple of these guys loved our sliding glassware and offered to make up a bunch of bars & slides as a 'thank you' for making them welcome.....this is one of the pieces from a visiting glass-blower! That bar you have there has got to be around ten years old!! :eek:

Thanks for sharing the photo Jon ~ brought back fond memories of those early bars!!

Cheers!

Ian.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Cool!