Gordon Lightfoot, RIP

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

From what a friend told me, Gordon updated the lyrics to The Wreck after seeing evidence that it was not human error that caused the tragedy. He would explain this when he performed it live.
Javier Schulenburg

Post by Javier Schulenburg »

RIP, his music meant a lot to me
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

i used to be too cool to listen to singer/song writers.... but i liked that wreck song he did. one night i was working a theater show and for some reason, the pit band had to play a couple of tunes to start the show. i called "the wreck of the edmund fitzgerald" and the band looked at me like dogs watching a tv :-)....i launched into it...key of D. people in the audience perked up and applauded. i watched a documentary on him awhile back and enjoyed it. i like his tunes. i really didnt realize how incredibly popular he was....again because i was too cool to pay attention, but after learning a bit more about him and his songs and how many artists covered them, he was indeed one of the top singer/songwriter types.

i do remember back in the 70s watching SCTV out of canada and they did a bit on lightfoot playing every song ever written....on 379 LP records! this is not in bad taste to post the link to it...even his own comics from canada thought so highly of him that they chose him for a skit. RIP lightfoot. bet you had a good chat with the fitz crew. thats rick romanis singing the lightfoot part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZpk0A4hZes
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Darrel Scott paying tribute to him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voBZzvDVbvE
In a FB clip he explains how he frets the modal E chord he is using in this song. Mr.Lightfoot himself showed it to him.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.