JUST Landed a New S8: C6 Stringing & Gauges?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Helm

JUST Landed a New S8: C6 Stringing & Gauges?

Post by Mark Helm »

Image OK, Guys!

I finally landed a sweet little Remington S8 with a custom (red) finish and a replacement pick-up custom made by Jason from Steeltronics.

The issue with the Remmys--really the only issue IMHO--is those high output George L E66 pedal steel pickups. Not very non-pedal-y-sounding. So the pickup is made to sound like steels from the 40s and 50s, wired around 10K and coil tapped around 7.5k.

Now, I've been playing C6 for a while and I'm fairly comfortable with it, but I've played a 6-string, strung (low to high) C-E-G-A-C-E.

Now that I have an 8-string, some have suggested I put a high "G" up top. What's the advantages of doing that? And drawbacks?

Would love to hear from folks who play Western Swing and Hawaiian stuff.

Thanks bunches!

--Mark
Last edited by Mark Helm on 6 May 2023 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
David Rattray

Post by David Rattray »

Way to go Mark....do not let it go...mine was great...best...
David Knutson

Post by David Knutson »

I like having the 5th of the chord on top, but I find the high G a little too “whiny” in C6. Much better suited for A6, or G6. I usually have a b7 on the 8th string. Lots of C6 players will stick with the high E and add two lower notes.
David K
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

The first thing I'd probably try if I were staying with an E on the first string is L-H: G Bb C E G A C E

You could tune to an A on the 7th string.

I might just put that on a guitar to try it against my ongoing decision about E13 versions, and A6. Maybe it would sit nice with E13. Haha, I'll never decide, will I?
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

If you play a lot of blues or rock, you could opt to put the G on the bottom instead of the top.

G Bb C E G A C E (C13), or G A C E G A C E (C6)
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Rick Abbott

The Pickup

Post by Rick Abbott »

Can you post a picture of the pickup? I'm in the market to change the sound of my T-8 Remington. It has George L 10-1 humbuckers. I wonder what the difference would be in the midrange of the guitar. I think the pickup placement has a very different set of overtones, or something, and I know Herb wanted it to be that way. I think the powerful humbucker exaggerates that set of frequencies. So, I wonder what a 10K pickup would do, given that placement. I'm more comfortable with the center of the pickup at two inches from the bridge. This one is 2-3/4.

Have you formed any opinions on this?
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Roland Sturm

Post by Roland Sturm »

I agree with the two standard comments:
1) Having the 5th (in C that would be the high g) on top is extremely useful. A huge improvement over having the third (e), I was immediately won over after coming from the usual C6 with a top e. I'll never switch back. And no surprise that A6 became as close to a Western Swing standard as any other tuning.
2) the high g is a bit shrill, not hugely so and just go up one string gauge if it were to sound wimpy. Don Helms top string was tuned up to g# and nobody complained (10 out of 11 #1 hits for Hank Williams, Walking after midnight with Patsy Cline and many more).

If the high g gets too you playing on your own (I think it is great in band settings), go to heavier strings and A6, move up 3 frets and everything will be just the same. I have my Dobro (8-string) in G6, so swing/jazz works the same just at different frets.
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

I'd find it informative, if someone could do a video of the benefits of the high G string over E. I just went to a slightly heavier E to improve tone and harmonics. Going skinnier seems counter-productive.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Nathan Laudenbach

Post by Nathan Laudenbach »

From a playability perspective I felt like it was much easier to add low strings to C6 instead of heading a high G and having to get used to that top string being in the way. Didn’t work for me, but I’m not much of a theory guy.
Mark Helm

Re: The Pickup

Post by Mark Helm »

Rick Abbott wrote:Can you post a picture of the pickup? ...Have you formed any opinions on this?

Here's a pic, Rick! And, no, I haven't informed any opinions yet. I want to add the coil tap switch and see what I get. The guy I bough this from has a Remmy T8 that he put these Steeltronics pickups on and added the coil tap switches to and he goes back and forth.

I tend to prefer the creamy-er 10K tone to the 7.5, but, amp and pedals can make such a huge difference I'm not sure it matters a ton to anybody but guys like us!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Hiro Keitora

Post by Hiro Keitora »

Bobby Ingano has G on top and B flat at the bottom on his 7 strings Rick A-25
He has his workshop video on YouTube demonstrating the use of high G as well as bottom B flat. Check it out :o
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Others can discuss the merits and pitfalls of a particular tuning, but once you decide on it, here is a handy chart for calculating what string gauge you need for that tuning:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=181987
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

David Knutson wrote:I like having the 5th of the chord on top, but I find the high G a little too “whiny” in C6. Much better suited for A6, or G6. I usually have a b7 on the 8th string. Lots of C6 players will stick with the high E and add two lower notes.
Yes, G on top is the same pattern as A6. but....
Hiro Keitora wrote:Bobby Ingano has G on top and B flat at the bottom on his 7 strings Rick A-25
He has his workshop video on YouTube demonstrating the use of high G as well as bottom B flat. Check it out :o
Rick Abbott wrote:The first thing I'd probably try if I were staying with an E on the first string is L-H: G Bb C E G A C E
Lots of fine players use those tunings.

There's also the version with the low C

C Bb C E G A C E

which is how I have one of my steels set up and really like.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

I was looking at the picture of the pickup. I am amazed by the whole guitar. The simplicity of it, is what amazes me.
Take the bridge......a plate, a bar with two tapped holes for two screws that's it! Very easy to string it up. The whole thing looks simple and to the point, not much eyewash. I wish I had built one of these when I still had the opportunity and use of the shop equipment. It looks like a very nice one to build. Mark, glad you were able to find the one you wanted.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40