Flat tone bar...why?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tony Palmer

Flat tone bar...why?

Post by Tony Palmer »

I've always had this old tone bar but can't see what the appeal is.
Is it strictly for hawaaian?

Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

I use one occaisionally for rock stuff, just makes me approach things differently. Rick Aiello uses them a lot, I can see why.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

For me ... it's all about vibrato.

But lately I've been playin' slant bar style ... so it's back to my 2 3/4" x 3/4" bullet :lol:
John Dahms

Post by John Dahms »

I have my favorites that I usually use,but,I use many different slides for different reasons. This style Elton is great for very fast passages.
It's a little light for the tone I like but Rick A. does not seem to have that problem.
Sometimes it's fun to try to use old bars to see how "they" did it back then.
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

I guess if it works for you, it works for you. But how ya gonna move across the strings smoothly?
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Tony
That bar is part of the progress / evolution / of the Steel guitar
That is what you would call second generation Hawaiian guitar
bar . The first generation was a railroad spike

Hick
Last edited by Bob Hickish on 21 Mar 2007 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

I speculate these were easy to make; compared to our shiny, heat-treated, chrome-plated UNOBTAINIUM bars today.

(use what you got)
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

I guess if it works for you, it works for you. But how ya gonna move across the strings smoothly?
Simple ... you ease the edges with a belt sander, then sand, buff and polish ...

P'tah ... P'tah ... P'tah ... P'tah ... ..... P'taaannnngggg

name that tune ... & win a "Bullet-ized Flattie"
C. Brattain

Post by C. Brattain »

Years ago the flat bar was used to train biginning students to hold the bar and then they go to a round bar after a while.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

I have a few of those olde flat bars, never use them. I suppose that back in the pre-electric days, they served their purpose. However, as Jeff pointed out, there is no way a person could do a fast run across the strings smoothly on an electric with that blunt end. If, for whatever physical reason, you are unable to hold onto a round bar, a far better solution than using that flat bar would be to locate one of those combination half-round bars (with the round end) and the flat 'handle'. I'm not sure if they are still produced but I'm sure they can still be found....or 'home made' at any machine shop.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I discovered a short time ago (in my "collection") that I still have my first bar. I made it when I was about 12 I think. It's a piece of 3/8 inch bar stock about 1 1/2 inches wide and 3 inches long.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

However, as Jeff pointed out, there is no way a person could do a fast run across the strings smoothly on an electric with that blunt end.
Lucky for me ... the fastest song I play is Waipio :lol:

Bobby Koefer seems to do a decent job with one though ... :shock:

As does Roland Peachy in this Film Short ...

Hey, I just answered Mr. Palmer's question as to why I find them appealing ...

I'd never advocate the use of flatties to anyone ... especially minors ... :twisted:
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Do you think that Roland Peachy would have made that steel guitar sound even better with a round bar?

He does a good job with the flat bar that he has, but
Me thinks the sound would have been fuller, richer with a round bar. The flat bar tends to give a thinner sound. IMHO

Aloha, :)
Don
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Do you think that Roland Peachy would have made that steel guitar sound even better with a round bar?
Different yes ... better :?:

The rationale that a heavier bar produces a bigger tone ... could be extended to .. say ... all 3/4" diameter bullet bar users ...

A 7/8" would sound bigger ...

A 15/16" would sound even bigger ...

A 1" would sound even bigger still ...

(L to R) Dia = 3/4" , 7/8" , 1" ... all 2 3/4" long

Paul Kim was using a tiny 5/8" diameter bar at Joliet ... would he have sounded better using a 1" bar of the same length.

Looks like the great Ralph Mooney is using a "cylinder bar" here in Dallas ...

He plays "lightnin' fast" across the strings :shock:

My point ...

Tools are just tools ... and the craftsman chooses the tool that he/she feels ... gets the job done ... to his/her satisfaction.

Delrin bars, Zirconia bars, Stevens bars, Powder Coated bars, Flatties ... Flatwound strings, Semi-flatwound strings, Nickel roundwound, Stainless roundwound ... Reverb effect, Delay effect, Distortion effect ... Tube amp, Solid state amp ... Horseshoe pickup, GeoL pickup, Charlie C. ... 1 pup per neck, 2 pickups per neck, ... Bakelite, Aluminum, Carbon fiber, Maple, Koa ... Pedals .... Yada, yada, yada ...

Personally, I always thought that "bullet bars" were used by players who wanted to compensate for bad technique ...
(Thats a joke) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

Wow I didn't know that Paul used a bar like that. I wonder if he and I use the same kind of bar. I use a 5/8" diameter, 2 7/8" long Nick Manoloff.
John Bushouse

Post by John Bushouse »

So, does anyone have a bar like the 2nd from the bottom or the bottom one in the 2nd column for sale? I've done some looking on eBay, but I've nevre found one like either of those.

(Thanks for making a pic of your collection available, Rick!)

Tony, in other words, I'll buy your bar if you want to sell...
Vince Luke

Post by Vince Luke »

I wondered if maybe those evolved from (or were the commercial versions of) knife blades or other "found" items used to play steel. They look to me like they'd be awkward to handle, being so tall and skinny, but that video clip shows that's certainly not the case. Pretty cool footage there--I especially like the way they keep cutting/wiping back to the steeler when he does a lick. That's quality editing.

Vince
Todd Weger

Elton flattie

Post by Todd Weger »

John -- I have an Elton flattie that I don't use. I personally don't care for 'em. My email is tweger@tampabay.rr.com, if you're interested. It needs a cleanup, and might even benefit from a re-plating. I have no clue what they're worth.

Anyone know?

TJW
Todd James Weger --
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
Rick Abbott

A Blast From The Past

Post by Rick Abbott »

I just watched this video and it reminded me of this thread.

Here's a guy using a flat bar. The tone and touch are undeniable...Don Helms on a cabinet-end Sho~Bud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dXdTAUWM-4
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Jouni Karvonen

Post by Jouni Karvonen »

Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »