No signal from line out in a Boss Katana 100

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Lacey

No signal from line out in a Boss Katana 100

Post by John Lacey »

I’m not getting enough signal from my amp to our group’s board. Have turned vol. knob up to about 4 o’clock.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

It's my understanding that you can turn the volume up to increase signal and use the master separately to control the internal speaker without changing your tone. So try cranking the volume up and master down. Otherwise use the USB out to your DAW workstation.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

If you're using the acoustic setting, turn the volume wide open and use some gain too. The clean setting will be louder.

Tony
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

I’m using the acoustic setting.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Katana’s Line Level is probably -10dB. You need a gain boost from the mixer.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index ... ic=25004.0
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

That really doesn’t answer my problem because it mostly involves recording interfaces as opposed to a mixing board. I guess maybe I need a direct box with a boost.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Okay, that’s an important detail. And it follows that you are not using the Phones/Rec line out of the Katana because it mutes the speaker and you are recording live with the band, right?

It seems a little odd that there is no channel input gain control on the recording interface.

If that is the case, then yes, your options are to mic the cabinet or take the line out to an active direct box or a preamp of some sort to get your signal boosted.

Just for kicks, try by-passing your volume pedal and see what kind of signal goes to the recording interface.

PS- Also try running the gain knob up on the Katana. If the signal is that weak with your normal setting, then it should take considerable gain before it starts distorting from the line out.
Charlie Hansen

Post by Charlie Hansen »

I use the phones/record line out to a Focusrite 6i6 and generally have to turn the interface away down. Basically too much volume.
I don't know much but what I know I know very well.
Carter S-10 3X5, Peavey Nashville 112, plus Regal dobro and too many other instruments to mention.
Bluegrass Island CFCY FM 95.1 Charlottetown, PE, Canada, on the web at cfcy.fm.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Charlie Hansen wrote:I use the phones/record line out to a Focusrite 6i6 and generally have to turn the interface away down. Basically too much volume.
That’s what I do too, Charlie. I listen with headphones or studio monitors, which is apparently not a viable option for John. USB is another way to connect to an interface, but there are logistical considerations for that in a live band recording situation too.
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

I play in a trad country band and a lot of the time I don’t even need a line out or mic to the board as we play quietly, but I’ve always liked that option with my other amps and they’ve always done the job with a xlr line out. This one is a problem, but I could always default to a mic. Old school.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

XLR or 1/4” TS cable doesn’t make much difference for short distance line out. What matters is the output level of the signal from the source (Katana) going into the destination (audio interface).

I tried this myself this morning, out of curiosity. Same result as you. The Line Out signal is very weak, probably -10dB. Boss probably did the right thing erring on the side of caution with this, given the apparent propensity of high-gain users of their product. Clean players - sorry, you’re screwed.

So, with no gain boost at the channel input on your interface (I would consult the manual on that), you’ll need outboard stuff.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I thought there was some discussion about the signal and a way to increase it in the software. It may have been in the VG forum. I will try to locate it and post a link.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

There is nothing in the Tone Studio software to adjust output level of the Katana Line Out. You can change the quality of the tone, but not the volume level.

Another dubious option (which I have not tried) would be to use the fx send as a line out, if you’re not using it for anything else. At least it has a level adjustment in the software, but you’d have to access it via USB at your recording studio in order to make changes. The fx loop can be placed anywhere in the signal chain.

You’ll probably have an easier time of it AND get a better sound just mic’ing up.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Fred, thanks. That's what I read.