Stringmaster 1950's reproduction from Caladesi Guitars

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Dan Campbell

Stringmaster 1950's reproduction from Caladesi Guitars

Post by Dan Campbell »

All new and made by Caladesi Guitars. Guitar comes with toco potentiometers that are hermetically sealed to keep out moisture and dust. Tuner pan and tuners are from Kluson and the pickups are from Seymour Duncan (antiquity series). Also includes 3 legs with leg bag. $1,450 plus shipping and case. Plano case is $110 and the Gator case is $220. If you don't need the legs you can deduct $150 from the price.

Tal Herbsman

Post by Tal Herbsman »

Beautiful. What's the scale?

Also, what is this thing:

Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I'm sure that's to blend the two pickups.
Erv
Mike Harris

Caladesi S-8

Post by Mike Harris »

From appearances, scale is likely 24.5
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Wow that looks "real deal cool". What is the Exact Wood and finish?? Yes what is Scale?? and do you have a sound example anywhere online???
Awesome looking steel.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Dan Campbell

Scale

Post by Dan Campbell »

It is a 24.5 inch scale and the little knob is a “blend knob” but actually it dials in the neck pickup- the bridge pickup is always on. This is the way fender originally wired their pickups. Thanks for the nice comments.
Dan Campbell

Wood

Post by Dan Campbell »

The wood is poplar and it is painted and clear coated in lacquer. I can make the same thing in any wood or color you prefer— about $100 more depending on the wood.

I can also do a different scale if you prefer. Dan
Dan Campbell

What does it sound like?

Post by Dan Campbell »

I’ll put a sound sample up tonight— maybe short video. Poplar sounds really good but it needs to be painted.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Thanks Dan for those updated questions answered...you're awesome.
So do you have a piece of "Swamp Ash" with like the ole days finish??
LOVE 24 1/2" scale.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

I like the output jack placement, and it looks like the body is thicker than the Fender Deluxe 8 . Which is a good thing.
Dan Campbell

Wood Stringmaster Reproduction

Post by Dan Campbell »

Yes, I can do swamp ash on all my guitars including a Stringmaster Deluxe reproduction which comes in all scale lengths. Swamp Ash is a special order and does add $150 to the price and I would suggest a natural finish, but the finish is up to you. I can also make them thicker and that would add $75 to the price but in that case I would probably have to make the last .5 inch of another wood if it needs a natural finish. You usually can't find a single piece of wood that thick.

It depends on the sound you're looking for on wood selection. Here is a good article on the different kinds of ash - [url]https://performerlife.com/swamp-ash-vs-ash/
Sometimes making the guitar out of two separate layers of different woods gives you the best of both worlds.

I have been told that thicker wood creates a better sound, but, I have made both and played them side by side and cannot hear any difference. A lot of things effect sound--most notably the pickup and the material the nut and bridge are made of. I like to use brass for the nut and bridge --I think it gives a deeper and richer sound. Stainless steel (originally used) has a sharper sound. The modern Stringmaster pickups and slightly wider and I think have a better sound especially on the outside strings. The distance between the bridge and the bridge pickup also makes a difference--so everything effects sound in some way or another. That being said, the amp also has a profound effect.
Last edited by Dan Campbell on 21 Apr 2023 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike DiAlesandro

Post by Mike DiAlesandro »

Looks great, do you offer pickup covers like the original Fenders? The exposed windings make me nervous... 😬
Dan Campbell

Wood Stringmaster Reproduction

Post by Dan Campbell »

Thanks for the wonderful comments. I have been trying to respond but something is wrong. Anyway, the guitar did sell locally within 24 hours so I didn't have time to make a sound sample. Sound samples are coming however. I intend to send a donation donation to Steel Guitar Forum.

To answer pending questions here goes:
  • I can make these out of any wood including Swamp Ash. Here is a good article about guitar tone and wood. https://performerlife.com/swamp-ash-vs-ash/
    1. I can do any scale--Fender Deluxe style was only made in 22.5 scale originally.
    2. I do have only a few "ash tray" covers left. If someone knows a source for them that would be helpful.
    3. The Seymour Duncan stringmaster pickups have exposed windings but the Lallar one's don't. You can always just put electrical tape on them.

Dan
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

To answer pending questions here goes:
I can make these out of any wood including Swamp Ash. Here is a good article about guitar tone and wood. https://performerlife.com/swamp-ash-vs-ash/
1. I can do any scale--Fender Deluxe style was only made in 22.5 scale originally.
2. I do have only a few "ash tray" covers left. If someone knows a source for them that would be helpful.
3. The Seymour Duncan stringmaster pickups have exposed windings but the Lallar one's don't. You can always just put electrical tape on them.

Dan
Great answers and info Dan; thank you. Yes to me: "swamp ash" as opposed to any other ash; is so much more fitting for TONE of the steel. Yes not as workable with guitars;bass...etc....but all other ash sound mid-range-y for steel but the swamp ash has such a smooth clear tone from low to high that glitters.
So are you talking about "Lollar pickups"?? Jason Lollar did my stringmaster style pickups in my sshawaiian pic below; they sound out of this world amazing. Course I made mine out of "Austrailian Silky Oak" wood...so doesn't sound like 50's stringmaster.
Dan; you're doing a masterful thing here bro; and glad you sold this steel above....very captivating.
Here's mine with Lollar stringmaster style pickups>

https://www.lollarguitars.com/

Ricky
Ricky Davis
Dan Campbell

Sound

Post by Dan Campbell »

That Deluxe style looks very similar to the one I make. Using a brass nut and bridge embedded in the guitar (which I use) will also give you a deeper and richer sound--at least in my opinion.