Anyone have schematics for a Kenneth Cain amp? (Sho Bud)

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron la Villa

Anyone have schematics for a Kenneth Cain amp? (Sho Bud)

Post by Ron la Villa »

Hello, I'm trying to restore a Kenneth Cain steel amplifier I've found here in the U.K. It's working but there's a bit too much hiss, so probably a couple transistors need changing out and there are a couple other issues. I gave the tech schematics to a Sho Bud single channel amplifier thinking they were similar and apparently they're different enough to render the schematics unuseful. As I understand it, the preamp should be FET but on this one the preamp is op amp, which surprised me. I've been reading through the back pages of this forum trying to piece together which other amps Kenneth Cain had a hand in designing and it hinted maybe the Dual channel Sho Bud or the Gretsch Nashville pro may have similarities.
I've hunted down a working JBL D130F for it and I'm really anxious to restore this amp to its glory.( God knows how it got out here to the U.K.!)
Any help, leads or advice would be hugely appreciated.
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Here you go,Ron...I think they are very similar...

Hope this helps...

SH

https://schematichell.com/sho-bud/show_ ... hannel.pdf
Ron la Villa

Post by Ron la Villa »

Thank you so much for that Steve, greatly appreciated- I'm afraid we went with that schematic a month ago and found some differences- The first being that the preamp is Op Amp on this particular amp (pics attached) instead of JFET as on the schematics for both the Sho Bud single channel and the Christmas tree Dual Channel. It doesn't look like someone replaced the preamp at a later stage,(the resistors are "period correct", which I know could span decades, but are at least consistent with the rest of the unit). I think it could have been a revision that Kenneth Cain made later and that this amp could have been one of the later ones he made. I even wonder if it would be worth entertaining the idea of making just the preamp to original Sho Bud specs as the Transistors and resistors are all available now but that could be crazy talk.
The main priority now is making sure the power is correct. The tech working on this said something about only being able to trace where one side of the power is coming from, ( I'm paraphrasing and I hasten to add, I'm not a tech I just had to try my best to get to grips so I can ask hopefully educated questions).
I've read valuable info from forum members on Evans FET 500, Gretsch Nashville pro and Sho bud threads and I'd really value any info anyone may have, ( I prefer to err on the side of courtesy and don't message people as I don't know forum etiquette well).
I really want to restore this amp to be as great as it can be and am also really curious about it's history and where it is in the evolution of these amps. Would love to hear any thoughts/info. Thanks for everything so far
Ron la Villa

Post by Ron la Villa »

Thank you so much for that Steve, greatly appreciated- I'm afraid we went with that schematic a month ago and found some differences- The first being that the preamp is Op Amp on this particular amp (pics attached) instead of JFET as on the schematics for both the Sho Bud single channel and the Christmas tree Dual Channel. It doesn't look like someone replaced the preamp at a later stage,(the resistors are "period correct", which I know could span decades, but are at least consistent with the rest of the unit). I think it could have been a revision that Kenneth Cain made later and that this amp could have been one of the later ones he made. I even wonder if it would be worth entertaining the idea of making just the preamp to original Sho Bud specs as the Transistors and resistors are all available now but that could be crazy talk.
The main priority now is making sure the power is correct. The tech working on this said something about only being able to trace where one side of the power is coming from, ( I'm paraphrasing and I hasten to add, I'm not a tech I just had to try my best to get to grips so I can ask hopefully educated questions).
I've read valuable info from forum members on Evans FET 500, Gretsch Nashville pro and Sho bud threads and I'd really value any info anyone may have, ( I prefer to err on the side of courtesy and don't message people as I don't know forum etiquette well).
I really want to restore this amp to be as great as it can be and am also really curious about it's history and where it is in the evolution of these amps. Would love to hear any thoughts/info. Thanks for everything so far
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Mr. la Villa, I just want to say, you have a lot of amplifier there. These were very popular in Texas, during the years I worked down there. I wish I have one. I have a later Sho-Bud Dual Channel, but the one I have might post Kenneth Cain.