Lo-fi instrumental music ft. Pedal Steel Guitar

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nicholas Stine

Lo-fi instrumental music ft. Pedal Steel Guitar

Post by Nicholas Stine »

Hey, everyone..
I'm just sitting here, proud of my good friend (& great Steel player) Clayton Deering aka "Neon Gravel" from Urbana, IL.
He just recently surpassed 1 year of his weekly releases of Lo-Fi/experimental music that features Pedal Steel or Dobro. (Something like 60-65 consecutive weeks!)
The tracks are usually long (5-10min) and he builds the samples in MIDI and plays over em.

Here's a long YouTube playlist to keep on the background - Yule Log style

https://youtu.be/OsENtgUcW1M

Here's a link to his BandCamp. If you follow, a new track will be posted every Friday abt Noon Central.

https://neongravel.bandcamp.com/

He also plays Country/Cajun/Rock - you name it. We're headed to the Southern IL steel show next wknd just like 20 min from where he grew up, so excited to meet fellow Steelers from the region!

Thanks & hope ya dig,
Nick
Steel/Guitar/Mandolin player from Southern Illinois.
Tom Jordan

Post by Tom Jordan »

Nick,

Really nice, thanks for sharing. It's playing in the background while reading the forum and browsing the internet. Great ambiance (?) music!

Tom
ZB Custom SD10, Dekley S10, Nashville Tele w/Parson B Bender, Dobros, Lap Steels
Fender Tube Amps and stuff...
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Any relation to Milo Deering?
Nicholas Stine

Post by Nicholas Stine »

Hey, Tom!
Appreciate you checking it out and glad ya enjoy. Even tho it sounds good w headphones/listening closely, it was definitely made with "background music" in mind..good for browsing or doin homework or cleaning house.

Frank, I don't think they are of any relation.

Thx again for listening,
Nick
Steel/Guitar/Mandolin player from Southern Illinois.
Kully Stiles

Post by Kully Stiles »

Damn that's tight. Now I can listen to pedal steel while I study next to my cat and drink morning coffee. Love the dedication to the weekly releases as well.
Andrew Frost

Post by Andrew Frost »

great stuff...
who is the vocal sample around 12:00-18:00? Sounds like it could be Brian Wilson...
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Digging this the most. Really good steel playing, in my opinion. Beginning a long phrase with a theme (@ 55 min.) that calls to mind
'she left me crying in the chapel'--don't know if that really came to mind, but your themes evoke ones from my past. It's a road trip.

Really nice sonic space. I could surf this.
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Bob Shilling

Post by Bob Shilling »

Digging this the most. Really good steel playing, in my opinion. Beginning a long phrase with a theme (@ 55 min.) that calls to mind
'she left me crying in the chapel'--don't know if that really came to mind, but your themes evoke ones from my past. It's a road trip.
For me it evokes Leonard Cohen's "Halleluiah". I've really been enjoying this whole piece.
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10, "Classic"