Recommendations for an amp simulator

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Mathis

Recommendations for an amp simulator

Post by Jim Mathis »

I want to be able to go direct into the PA mixer without using an amp. I will be using a Dobro, lap steel, maybe bass, or a Les Paul. Would something like the Tech 21 SansAmp GT2 or the JDX Direct Drive work for me. Something that would allow me to switch from say a Twin Reverb sound to a Marshall or Mesa Boogie sound and have some tone controls and ideally a low-Z mic output. Is there something like the Fender Mustang Micro headphone amp that will go directly into a mixer? Who has had experience with this?
Steve Sycamore

Post by Steve Sycamore »

Hi Jim, I have one of these and think it's superb for both PSG and 6 string guitar (both Fenders and Gibsons with humbuckers).

https://www.telonics.com/products/proaudio/pre-1000.php

There are 2 inputs with separate channels and controls. There is a bend knob for one channel where you can switch between a fat tone and a bright tone in a split second. There is built-in mono reverb. Distortion is not available though, so you would need to use pedals for that.
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Wow, you are asking a lot from a small box! My advice -

Dobro - ideally a Nashville pickup into a JD Aura pedal, into a good acoustic preamp pedal/DI box (I've used the Nu-X Stageman Floor) and then to the mixer. If you don't have the Nashville pickup, then most think you are at best getting something between a lapsteel and a dobro sound.

Low-Z mic - just go straight to the mixer - that's what they are made for.

Lap Steel, Les Paul - I use a Joyo "American Sound" pedal - it emulates vintage Fenders - Tweed and Blackface. The Joyo is a more or less clone of the Sansamp California, and is crazy cheap. I know lots of blues harp players are using it when going direct to PA. I personally prefer the Nocturnal Brain "Jr Barnyard" pedal that emulates a vintage Gibson amp - I have that on my harmonica pedal board. But for lap steel, the Joyo works great for me. But yes, the Sansamp would also be great for this (but not the mic or dobro, I think). And there are many other pedals, at every imaginable price range, meant to simulate typical guitar amps.

The Telonics preamp mentioned above is a great piece of gear - but I think it's designed for very clean sound. So to get some overdrive tones, etc, you will need pedals anyway. So I'd just run the pedals to the PA.

Bass - I know nothing about running bass direct - others will have to give advice on that.

The Stageman Floor has either 1/4" or XLR out. The JD Aura Pedal, in their manual, is shown connected to an amp, but I think it works no problem connected to a PA into the line-in jack, or via a DI box. Presumably you want as much a true dobro sound, so a very clean amp like the Fishman acoustic amps would be great, but then a PA system is designed to give clean accurate sound amplification - so that's perfect. The Joyo and Jr. Barnyard are both 1/4" only. The Joyo has cab sim built in - it's made for going direct. The Jr. Barnyard, I think, does not - it's meant to make a clean, modern amp sound vintage, not so much for going direct. As I say, mine is on my blues harp pedal board that goes to a Quilter Interblock, then a cab built for blues harp, not direct - so no cab sim required.
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Colin Swinney

Post by Colin Swinney »

I just bought a Strymon Iridium and I think it can do much of what you’re asking. It sounds VERY good in my headphones but I haven’t tried it direct to PA yet.

There’s a good thread here about it.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... um&start=0
Carey Hofer

Post by Carey Hofer »

I use the new UAFX 65 Dream pedal. I was using the Strymon Iridium but switched to the UAFX because in my opinion it sounds more like a classic blackface deluxe reverb which is what I was looking for. I use it for guitars but haven't tried my steel with it yet. The Iridium's Fender channel sounds to me more like a deluxe Reverb's normal channel. It's Marshall channel just doesn't sound all that great to me. The AC channel does sound pretty good though.
Carey Hofer

Post by Carey Hofer »

One thing I forgot to add, my regular pedal board with all sorts of pedals on it, including four overdrives, sounds every bit as good with the 65 Dream through the house PA, as it does straight through the guitar amp.
Jim Mathis

Post by Jim Mathis »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to have to try out a few things. I have a couple of vintage tube amps, but they are getting valuable, plus and I am looking for something that is easier to lug around. Also, I usually have my own PA and I want to easily trade off instruments without having 2 or 3 amps.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Jim, I'm surprised you haven't followed the Line 6 Helix or stomp, or Greg Cutshaw post on the Tonex pedal. Going into a PA there are lots of options. I use an old line 6 pod or my Boss Pocket gt or the GT1. You have to tweak all this stuff to your liking but once done it's great. Just my thoughts.
Jim Mathis

Post by Jim Mathis »

Larry, yes the Line 6 looks like what I need.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Jim, I can say that Line 6 has a great support system and reliable user reputation. I will warn you that it's a rabbit hole that folks follow trying to get that exact sound of their favorite amp or pedals. If you have never used the equipment and a computer it's an overwhelming amount of learning. I have wasted a lot of time trying to tweak gear that's less than satisfying. However I do know the newer gear gets closer to the real deal. Do your research and decide what fits you best.
Doug Taylor

Post by Doug Taylor »

I have been using a Line 6 Pod Go for the last year for both electric and upright bass at church and could not be happier! If I needed an amp less setup for steel I would not hesitate to use it.