Which tuner to utilize?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Marty Broussard

Which tuner to utilize?

Post by Marty Broussard »

I need to convert a 6-string “dobro” to a 7-stringer and would appreciate some advice on selecting a Banjo tuner (or other) to install/utilize for the area circled in red below. I need it to be as stable as possible. TIA for some help.
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
David Knutson

Post by David Knutson »

I’ve seen a couple of converted 7-stringers with a regular guitar tuner added to the end of the headstock, but I wonder if that’s a good idea so close to the endgrain.
David K
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

When I converted this beater 1954 Ultratone from six strings to seven, I plugged the middle hole for the 5th string on the bass side, and drilled two new holes equidistant between the holes for the 4th and 6th string tuners.

I installed four of the six tuners from a Gotoh SD-91 (ala Fender) set on the bass side, and the three treble tuners from a Gotoh SD-90 (standard 3 x 3) set on the treble side.

Image Image

Works for me...
Larry Allen

7 string

Post by Larry Allen »

Image I added one to my Weissenborn with a banjo tuner.. tuner, nut and bridge.. I tune this down to E6 to ease up on the tension instead of G6.. :D
Last edited by Larry Allen on 19 Apr 2023 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
Marty Broussard

Larry, do you think a banjo tuner would work utilizing standard Dobro tuning? Id line to use the banjo tuner for the typical “G” on the usual 3rd string.
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Larry Allen

7 string.

Post by Larry Allen »

Hey Marty, I use it for my 4th string, the 6th of the chord.. Low-high E-G#-B-C#-E-G#-B..I think you could any way you wanted to.. I had one on a Dobro years ago , same setup. But in G. Low top high…G-B-D-E-G-B-D.. I used a set of Dobro strings that I could order a single string for the 4th.. 56-45-35-32-28-18-16 .. on the Weissenborn I use the same set up but lighter gauges :D
Jeff Keyton

Post by Jeff Keyton »

I've got a roundneck tricone I'd like to add a string or 2 to, as well. Any ideas on sources for the banjer tuners and maybe where to get a tailpiece ?
Marty Broussard

Thank you Larry!!

Jeff, I’m going to start with Stew-Mac and try others if needed.(All Parts, Elderly,)
Larry Allen

7 string

Post by Larry Allen »

I think I got mine from Banjo Ben’s In the late 90’s.. I also had a banjo buddy that bought a set and didn’t need them all and sold me 1.. there must be a Banjo website?? To check out? Larry
Larry Allen

7 string

Post by Larry Allen »

Marty go on Amazon and go to Banjo tuning keys..Larry
Larry Allen

7 string

Post by Larry Allen »

Here’s a couple more sources. Milisten set of 2. Or Planetary singles PB-324-325
Marty Broussard

Thanks Larry!
Larry Allen

7 string bridge

Post by Larry Allen »

I also drilled another hole and slotted it between the 3rd & 4th holes on the tailpiece, behind them.. (No pic guitar gone) also see if you want the string spacing a little wider? I did and made the nut and bridge to fit. I also got a Jon Pearse small bar for speed pickin’, It works well on tighter spacing. I made my nut / saddle spacing a measured wider..took my outer strings to the edges of the fingerboard..
Image :D