New to pedals...

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rich Arnold

New to pedals...

Post by Rich Arnold »

Hi folks,

I recently cut a check for a D-10. My first one. It hasn't arrived yet. I'll need all the help I can get when it does arrive. I fell in love with the steel guitar when I was 13 and began sneaking into bars and hiding in dark corners and under tables trying to go unnoticed so I wouldn't get kicked out just so I could listen to the steel players.
I've been lap steel and dobro player most of my life. I live in Nashville, TN.
Lately I have been binge listening to Country music. (the real stuff) and Buddy Emmons, Tommy White, all the heavy weights.
Hope I don' t drive anybody crazy with all my questions. Can anyone tell me who is playing E9 on this recording? Thanks in advance. R.

https://youtu.be/y00WLbZ7fwI
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

That's the late great Dicky Overbey backing up his daughter in law Amber Digby.

Check out the live videos on YT under Amber Digby Live at Swiss Alp Hall.
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

RISGA will have a meeting, jam session and pot luck dinner on May 7th at the Tiverton VFW Shove Street, Tiverton, RI.
Rich Arnold

Post by Rich Arnold »

Chris Brooks wrote:That's the late great Dicky Overbey backing up his daughter in law Amber Digby.

Check out the live videos on YT under Amber Digby Live at Swiss Alp Hall.
Thanks!
Rich Arnold

Post by Rich Arnold »

Chris Brooks wrote:RISGA will have a meeting, jam session and pot luck dinner on May 7th at the Tiverton VFW Shove Street, Tiverton, RI.
Thanks for the invite but I'm not going to be able to break away. It's a bit far from Nashville to.
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Whoops, sorry Rich. Didn't notice your location.
Rich Arnold

Post by Rich Arnold »

Chris Brooks wrote:Whoops, sorry Rich. Didn't notice your location.
That's fine.
Rich Arnold

I'm underway!

Post by Rich Arnold »

Well, folks I got my D-10 and have really been too busy to post much on here.
It's going as well as can be expected I suppose. I'm working on the E9 side quite a bit. Right now I'm like Oops, Oops, Oops, Oops!! It's fun though. I just can't leave it alone! I learned the steel guitar don't need to sleep but I sure do! :D
My hat is off to E9 players everywhere! You have my deepest respect!!! R.
Kevin Fix

Post by Kevin Fix »

In my 70th year now. I started the journey 41 years ago. I am still active. I can tell you one thing to understand, is that a Pedal Steel is a machine. What I mean, if you understand basic music theory, you will find that when you use the floor pedals and knee levers they are related to what ever fret you are on. Example. G fret with A+B pedal down is C major, A Pedal down is E minor, move to A fret with A+B pedals down, you are in D major. And so on. Use your pedals and knee levers and explore. It is endless.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

My suggestion to a person who already plays music. And play guitar, Or other instuerments.
Mel Bay has a E9th Steel Guitar Chord Chart that is like a roadmap of the E9th neck. They sell it here on the Forum up under the instruction section at top of page, And others on the internet sell it. Best 8.00 you can spend to understand the E9th neck.
It shows Major, Minor, 7th, Diminish and Augmented chords. It shows the fret, Strings to pick, Pedal/lever combination to make chords.

Good Luck on your journey with a Steel guitar. Happy Steelin.