Robert Paul Lee (Bobby Lee) Aug 1949 - Mar 2023

Tribute to the eternal spiritual leader of the Steel Guitar Forum, Bobby Lee.
Mark Durante

b0b

Post by Mark Durante »

So sad...
John Viterito

Post by John Viterito »

Can't believe he's gone. Nicest guy in the world. RIP, b0b.
Emerald Solace acoustic laps and Rukavina steels. Can't play, but I try!
Larry Hopkins

RIP bOb

Post by Larry Hopkins »

You will be missed !thoughts to family and friends
Larry
,peavey renown 115,Vegas 400, Peavey envoy, peavy bandit 65 head,baby bloomer
2 -Nashville 400, Emmons SD-10 legrande lll ,Emmons Black Rock ,sho-bud pac a seat,,;
Chris Dorch

Rip

Post by Chris Dorch »

Rest in peace. Thank you for everything.
Kenny Howard

RIP b0b

Post by Kenny Howard »

gonna miss him

As Hank sang 'I'll never get out of this world alive'
Say hello to Hank when you see him
Benjamin Lowengard

Thinking of b0b

Post by Benjamin Lowengard »

Hi All,
I feel like a beginner although i realize - I've been watching and learning from this forum for a long time. I've had very slight interactions with b0b but they all are good - the advice from him and
generated by this community here speaks volumes (sweet steely volumes) about his love for PSG, Bulletin Boards and people in general. On the day he passed, i had ordered a replacement bar from the store
-because I misplaced my bag of picks and bars and strings somehow.
this was all just coincidence now, I'll always think about bOb picking up my new bar when i sit down to play.
What a great place he created!
Garry Vanderlinde

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

What I loved most about b0b was his wisdom and level headedness, something I've yet to achieve...I remember when a bunch of us Forum members got together and pitched in to help get him that 8 string Rickenbacker non-pedal SW. Good times 8)
Last edited by Garry Vanderlinde on 14 Apr 2023 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Moore

A Life That Mattered - to a lot of people

Post by Michael Moore »

The number of online communities that have come and gone over the span that the Steel Guitar Forum has been online is countless. The number that continue today and that are as valuable to as many people as this one is vanishingly small. I never had the opportunity to meet Bob Lee but his ability to keep this ship moving forward on a (mostly… :o ) even keel tells me everything I need to know about his character, persistence, humor, good judgement, and passion for this community. RIP b0b. The community you created and maintained was an amazing accomplishment in the fractured, fragmented, and polarized world we spend most of our time in. This forum remains a refuge for civilized conversations about something we all love…
Carter S-12, GFI S-12, Emmons S-12, Fender Deluxe 8 non-pedal, Scheerhorn Dobro. Plus banjos.
Kristian Meisling

Vaya con Dios b0b

Post by Kristian Meisling »

Just learned of b0b's passing. I am very sorry to hear it - shocked - like someone else said, I didn't see it coming.. My heartfelt sympathy goes to the Lee family and all his friends. As they say "I did not know b0b, but he knew me." I discovered the SGF a quarter century ago, and it has given me so much joy that I can never repay the debt! I have learned about the steel guitar, bought instruments, been given advice on mechanical problems, learned about steel guitarists around the world, kept up on the latest technology, benefited from tab shared freely, and felt a sense of community with so many others. I almost never post, but visit the Forum often. b0b was always there, Buddha-like, in his beard and cap - captaining the ship - an island of calm in the storm. I never met him, but I would like to say "Thank you, b0b for your immense contribution to my life!". Sail on, brother, and may our paths cross again in the next life.
Ashoke kumar Das

Great miss

Post by Ashoke kumar Das »

No words is enough. The whole steel guitar World must remember him.
Mark Helm

b0b.... SO grateful to you.

Post by Mark Helm »

To b0b, his family, and close friends:

SO glad that I met you, b0b, and that your Steel Forum came int my life.

I don't even know how many times you gave me advice and steered me into reacting in a more reasonable, measured way. You sure did mentor me with a tactful, gentle, wise hand.

I will always feel fortunate our lives intersected.

Thank you and god bless.

--Mark
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Craig Schwartz

RIP Bob

Post by Craig Schwartz »

I’m so sorry to hear , R.I.P. Bobby Lee
SO MANY LURES, SO LITTLE TIME....
Justin Schack

Post by Justin Schack »

It's been a while since I've visited the Forum, so I was shocked and saddened to log in today and see the news of b0b's passing. I'm sure I'm not the only Forum member who didn't really know or speak with b0b personally, but whose life has been touched in a positive way by him and his work with the Forum. I've learned so much and been encouraged by so many PSGers here. It's great that the Forum will continue. What a wonderful legacy and tribute. My condolences to his family and all who loved him.
D. Scheindlin

Post by D. Scheindlin »

Oh no… haven’t visited the forum in a while and very sad to learn of b0b’s passing. Condolences to his family. His contributions to the steel guitar community are truly immeasurable. RIP, b0b.
Don McClellan

Post by Don McClellan »

I just heard about Bobby's passing. What a shock. I stopped playing steel many years ago and have not visited the forum in quite a while. I really liked Bobby and I'm sure everyone who knew him felt the same way. I met Bobby long before the forum started. He was always a very good guy and (of course) a huge advocate of the steel guitar. I hope the forum lives on. RIP Bobby. You're in my thoughts now and will be for some time. Don McClellan
Mickey Adams

Gracious Man

Post by Mickey Adams »

We all owe a debt of gratitude to this man for bringing us all together
In such a way. He just shared the love of the instrument, as we all have
here…While on an away trip, after flying in to Napa around fall of 2015,
I was road tripping all the way up the coast to Portland..
I passed through his town, and followed the signs to the SGF office..
I was met with a warmth I rarely see in people nowadays..
an invitation to his home followed, and an afternoon of nothing but
steel guitars, food, and music..We had such a good rapport, I stopped on
the way back as well…This was part of another bucket list for me..
For many years, the steel guitar was a focal point in my life, and I spent many an hour here..I’ve watched many, many friends contribute as they were
passing through this life, to be remembered here on the message boards, which I
visit regularly., but rarely post to…Thank you God, for putting this man in my path on my journey..
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Peter Roush

RIP b0b

Post by Peter Roush »

He was very nice to me. Surely this has rubbed off on the whole group. You are all so friendly and helpful. It’s fitting that he lives on in this forum and in the way we treat each other.
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

We really miss you, b0b.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Susan Alcorn wrote:We really miss you, b0b.
I've been wanting to say this for a while. I truly miss him, but as a true testament of his great example, this forum has continued with the same level of civility and decorum as when he was here to see it. I'm sure that would please Bobby very much.
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

b0b was truly a blessing to this community. Everyone was blessed by his words of wisdom in one way or the other. b0b was really intelligent when it came to other tunings other than E9 and C6. Not having b0b present here on the forum is like not having the A and B pedal on a steel guitar. Just doesn't feel right. RIP my friend. Slim
S12 MSA Classic Nashville 400 with fox mods amp 1 volume pedal 1 Lil Izzy and 3 cords
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

Bob was extremely helpful to me. He sent me a pickup for my Sierra U12 that I recently purchased from someone else...at no charge just because I said on the forum that I wasn't happy with my tone! I saw bOb in California a couple of years back at a little club he was playing at. I met with him and he had me take some video of the band playing. He then sent me a CD of the recordings. What a wonderful, kind man he was, and so helpful.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,