Johnny Cox

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ben Feldman

Johnny Cox

Post by Ben Feldman »

Such beautiful playing. Has anybody out there found a record of his recording history? Any recommendations of where I can hear more of his music?
Ben Feldman

Post by Ben Feldman »

Ben Feldman

Post by Ben Feldman »

Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Ballads Shuffles and Swing intrumental CD 1998 if you can find it anywhere. It may be out of print, I dunno.

Just fabulous intrumental playing on the standards both necks. His Chalker tribute is great.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Johnny Cox And Wayne Cox – Two Of A Kind

https://www.discogs.com/release/7179615 ... -Of-A-Kind

Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Ben, thanks for your interest in my work. I didn't do a lot of recording over my career that it easy to find. The stuff that the other guys listed plus I did a few things for Heart Of Texas records. Two Tony Booth CDs, a few tracks on a Justin Trevino/Johnny Bush CD, a couple tracks on a Leona Williams/ Ferlin Huskey CD. When I lived in Nashville it was a rare thing for an artist's road player to play on their records. Ernest Tubb was the only artist I worked for that his band got to record with him. I did play on some obscure records over the years but don't really remember who they were for.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Johnny, wasn’t that you on some of that Carolyn Martin Western swing stuff?
https://carolynmartinmusic.com/music
Great stuff, buddy! You sure knocked it out of the park when I saw you at
Phoenix show several years ago.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Johnny told me he did the steel on David Frizzel's recording of "Murder on Music Row", which I consider the best version. There is steel and dobro on the recording.

I think its on one of David's albums. I did a show with David, here in Florida, and he gave me a promo CD ("white label") of that song.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Danny Crelin

Post by Danny Crelin »

Johnny puts on a clinic on this one.

https://music.amazon.com/albums/B002LD3 ... Dj8UJf6Zhg
Pedal Steel Dude at:
http://www.coodergraw.com

RAINS D-10-Quilter Steelaire-Quilter 15" Cabinets-Hilton Pedal-Steeler's Choice-BJS
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Thanks Danny, also found it on Apple Music.
Johnny Cox

Post by Johnny Cox »

Steve French wrote:Johnny, wasn’t that you on some of that Carolyn Martin Western swing stuff?
https://carolynmartinmusic.com/music
Great stuff, buddy! You sure knocked it out of the park when I saw you at
Phoenix show several years ago.
Yes, I did 4 albums with Carolyn. I wasn't the only steel player on those records though.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
Johnny Cox

Post by Johnny Cox »

Jack Stoner wrote:Johnny told me he did the steel on David Frizzel's recording of "Murder on Music Row", which I consider the best version. There is steel and dobro on the recording.

I think its on one of David's albums. I did a show with David, here in Florida, and he gave me a promo CD ("white label") of that song.
I totally forgot about that. I looked it up on YouTube and yep, it's me.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
Jeff Peterson

Post by Jeff Peterson »

Johnny's just a great talent. First got to meet him in Branson in '87, I believe, he was tearing it up at the Roy Clark theatre with Mel Tillis, and I was across the street at the Presly's nodding off with Freddie Hart, lol. After playing officially was done, we'd all hit the Sheraton Inn bar where Johnny would sit in with the house band and continue to blow the audience(us) away with his ability. Just a fabulous player no matter what he's doing. Then one day, deep in the middle of a tour, Lorrie Morgan pulls in for sound check and I see Johnny step off the bus, I said 'Lorrie upgraded the steel player', Johnny says, 'I'm taking a break...I'm driving this thing'! Caught us all off guard. What a guy!
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Also, for a short time, Johnny was with the gospel group, The Rambos. I have the double live lp entitled "Alive...and Live at Soul's Harbor, this link here doesn't do Johnny justice,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6s9AYWcXjg

Other songs he plays full leads on are "I'll Fly Away" and several others. Lp is Heartwarming Records 1974. Johnny flawlessly plays through songs speed picking. Well worth getting the lp. There are several more Youtube video of this particular recording, but I can't find links that feature Johnny on the faster songs.