The Steel Guitar Record Club

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wade Black

The Steel Guitar Record Club

Post by Wade Black »

The January 1979 issue of Steel Guitarist Magazine mentions The Steel Guitar Club. The Bar Chatter section mentions “…the demise…”. and another page mentions that it “….may have ended, but all of the back releases are still available…”

What was The Steel Guitar Record Club and how did it work?

Are any of the back releases still available and does anyone still have a full collection of these records?
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Wade, this was Tom Bradshaw and in his Pedal Steel Guitar Products catalog.

Here is a scan from that 1977 catalog. I don't know how to enlarge the text, but I believe opening the photo in a new tab will zoom it. Right click on the image, find the new tab and click on it. You'll see a magnify icon there. Then, you can move that icon to magnify the portion of the photo you want to view. Many photos have this feature, but all do not.

You probably know Tom is a member here and can probably shed much more light on the club.

He moved a lot of his stuff to the forum in a generous gesture to make it available. I don't know if there were any records left from the Record Club, but he can tell you.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 7 Apr 2023 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

It started in 1975. It was a subscription based LP from PSG Products which was owned and operated by Tom Bradshaw. It also came with a lengthy Newsletter .
I believe the internet is correct in that there were 15 offerings over a 3 year period. If my memory serves my properly, we paid yearly and I think there were 3 or 4 offerings each year. I may have all 15 tucked away somewhere . I am not aware if they are any available anymore though.

Here's a link to what was offered and when https://www.discogs.com/label/746661-St ... ecord-Club
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Some are available from the Steel Guitar Forum store.
Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 8 Apr 2023 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Wade Black

Post by Wade Black »

Jerry: Wow! So cool that you have the specific newsletter that explains how it works. Very interesting and cool concept. Yes, I was hoping Tom might share some of his memories about it. The album covers all look similar, so, it appears marketing was coordinated. It would be interesting to know how this all came together. The idea of the Pedal Steel Guitar Products newsletter sounds interesting also.

Tony: Much appreciated. I know you from TDPRI and I always enjoy your post.. I am 3BenderBigE. Thank you for your insight.

Richard: I checked out the store. I guess I am going to need a record player. 🤠
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Wade Black wrote:Jerry: Wow! So cool that you have the specific newsletter that explains how it works. Very interesting and cool concept. Yes, I was hoping Tom might share some of his memories about it. The album covers all look similar, so, it appears marketing was coordinated. It would be interesting to know how this all came together. The idea of the Pedal Steel Guitar Products newsletter sounds interesting also.

Tony: Much appreciated. I know you from TDPRI and I always enjoy your post.. I am 3BenderBigE. Thank you for your insight.

Richard: I checked out the store. I guess I am going to need a record player. 🤠

Hey Wade or is it hey 3BenderBigE!

tp
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

I have most all the Record Club lps, I love the liner notes!
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Hello Wade, I have the whole set of LP's and would sell them to you if you would like to have. Send me a PM. Thanks, J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.