New model Epiphone Electar Century string buzz

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Todd McMakin

New model Epiphone Electar Century string buzz

Post by Todd McMakin »

I have a new to me Epiphone Electar lap steel. It's a standard 6 string with a metal bridge and nut. I think these originally were set to open G tuning and came with smaller diameter strings. I recently upgraded to C6 strings and tuning. I am now getting a string buzz on the 6th string. Would this likely be caused by the slot size/depth in the nut or bridge? Since there are no frets, I can't imagine it's fret buzz per se. What would you look at first and how would you address it?
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

First thing to check is it on the open string or when bar is used?
When the bar is laid across all the strings? is it ok if you just bar the single 6th string?

Open G tuning strings would normally be larger than C6
Duesenberg Fairytale
1949 Supro Supreme
1950 National New Yorker
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
Todd McMakin

Post by Todd McMakin »

From what I can tell, it's the string rattling in the nut slot. How do I address that with a metal nut?
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

In general, rattling in a nut slot indicates the need to file a greater angle down to the tuner post. A standard nut file will do it but may shorten the file's life.
Duesenberg Fairytale
1949 Supro Supreme
1950 National New Yorker
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Todd McMakin wrote:From what I can tell, it's the string rattling in the nut slot. How do I address that with a metal nut?
I've taken folded paper and put it under the string... this was to even the tops of the strings (barring at the first fret had real problems) but it should also work for your problem. Make the paper extend into the fret area as little as possible, should be good to go. Anything else is going to be painful (new nut, cutting the nut etc).

If it's just the string angle, and the sixth string tuner is close to the nut, I've also had luck winding the 6th *backwards* to get a much higher break angle across the nut. Just have to remember it when you tune! Obviously this only works on slotted (or Fender ash-tray) headstocks.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Todd McMakin

Post by Todd McMakin »

I was able to file the nut slot down just a little and it fixed the issue. It really wasn't very hard to do. I just mimicked the string angle to the extent possible.