Beautiful Sho~Bud for sale: Price lowered!

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Lem Smith

Beautiful Sho~Bud for sale: Price lowered!

Post by Lem Smith »

I’m listing my guitar for sale. I would say it’s probably a 72 model, but it has been redone by Andy DePaule and Mike D. from Steel Guitars of Ohio. It is 3&4 Emmons setup. It is the 1 over 1 changer and the undercarriage is rack and barrel. It plays good and it sounds fantastic! It has a Lawrence 605 pickup. The case is in excellent condition as well. Includes a nice leg bag as well.

I’ve had a lot of ShoBud guitars over the years, and I’d have to say this is the best one I’ve had yet.

For now, I’d rather not have to ship, so an in person pickup would be preferred. It’s not a lightweight guitar, so shipping would be pretty expensive.

Price is $2500 if picked up locally…. Thanks for looking.

Edited to add: I prefer a cash sale, but if someone wants to pay for the shipping, I’ll take PayPal and send the guitar via FedEx.

Update: I also have a Goodrich 120 volume pedal that needs a new potentiometer and a Peavey Nashville 112, which works fine but really does need the pots spayed with tuner cleaner, because they are noisy. If the guitar is picked up in person, I’ll throw those in for free if the buyer wants them.

Last edited by Lem Smith on 5 Apr 2023 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tommy Auldridge

SD-10 Sho-Bud

Post by Tommy Auldridge »

Wow! That's really nice. I'd like to see a comment from Ricky Davis about this one. It's special for sure, and certainly worth the asking price. Thanks, Tommy.....
Dennis Wireman

SHO Bud

Post by Dennis Wireman »

Wow what a great looking steel and set up. whats the serial number on this one?
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Wow that is a pretty finish; Abalone Inlay. Certainly a D-10 "The Professional" redone to a SD-10 with looks like a red felt to cover bottom Previous holes of C6 side and nice tooled leather covered pad. Looks like a filled in metal on back endplate(or replaced); very good work.
605 Bill Lawrence Pickup old style around 15K ohms; best sounding out of all of them for a humbucker in a round front sho~bud. I bet this steel is a musical blowout in every way....
That Price Lem has is a very Fair price for the worth of this Sho~bud; UNLIKE ALL THE HORRIBLE UN-Fair over-priced prices I see; even on here; starting with student models on up....YIKES...(easy for me to say; cuz I do this work for last 30 years and I know how much every part is worth)
Lem; So sorry you have to see this one go; but totally understandable if not being played; it needs to go to someone that will play it....it is that good.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Thanks Tommy. It is a sweet guitar for sure.

Dennis, the end plates are aftermarket, so there’s not a serial number is what I was told by Mike D. when I bought it.

Wow, thanks for your post Ricky! You are correct, it was originally a “The Professional” and it sounds like a ShoBud from that era should. I’m not playing out anymore, and like you said, this is a guitar that needs to be played.
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Bumping up because of new information being added.
Andy DePaule

We made four of them and....

Post by Andy DePaule »

Hi Lem,
We made four SD-10's from 2 beat up early 70's Sho~Bud D-10's...
Of them and I still need to finish the last one, but it's only been 8 years so allow me some time. :lol:
Here are some of the photos. :D

This one was for my friend Denny (RIP) He chose the colors and helped with all the building. I liked the purple color Denny picked.
After he passed I gave it to my friend Tommy Huff and he finished it.

Last is this one that remains to be finished. I did not like the green color I did so plan to refinish it in a nice Kelly Green like the Lloyd Green Bud's.
I inlaid the 8 Ball as well as the abalone & pearl strips.

We made all the bodies in Quilted Maple. Only the one Lem has here for sale has a Quilted Maple Front and the rest is the original Birds Eye Maple from Sho~Bud.
I did the Red Abalone and White Pearl strips too.

Ricky was partly right.
I had a fellow in Saigon re-cast the end plates and key heads for me.
That was because I hate to see conversions with that gaping un-used C6th hole in them. :lol: :D
Last edited by Andy DePaule on 7 Apr 2023 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Hi Andy,
That is very interesting. I knew that you and Mike D. rebuilt the one I have, but didn’t know the whole story. I’m with you on the conversions with the extra endplate opening where the back changer was… it’s much better to have just the front changer opening.

Love the work you did on these guitars. They are all very nice!
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Bump up for lowered price.
Jonathan Cox

Post by Jonathan Cox »

PM sent, Thanks!
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Potential sale pending…
Andy DePaule

Thanks Lem

Post by Andy DePaule »

Lem Smith wrote:Hi Andy,
That is very interesting. I knew that you and Mike D. rebuilt the one I have, but didn’t know the whole story. I’m with you on the conversions with the extra endplate opening where the back changer was… it’s much better to have just the front changer opening.

Love the work you did on these guitars. They are all very nice!
Thanks Lem,
Glad to see you have a sale pending. The red underside was my first attempt at flocking.
Best wishes,
Andy :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Here is the requested picture from the player side of the guitar. This is before installing the tooled leather pad.

Mike DiAlesandro

Sound Clip

Post by Mike DiAlesandro »

Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Sold pending payment. Thanks to all who inquired.