Information on Eminence Texas Heat Speaker

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

J R Rose

Information on Eminence Texas Heat Speaker

Post by J R Rose »

Has anyone tried one of these for pedal steel. Eminence Texas Heat, 12", 4 ohms, 150 watts. Moderate price for it. Putting it in a Peavey Artist Tube Amp. It is listed for guitar. It is not heavy, only 8.3 lbs. Would like a Neodymium 4 ohm but cannot find even new. Thanks, J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Tal Herbsman

Post by Tal Herbsman »

This is probably not going to be super useful but one of those came in an amp I purchased. I used it for a while with lap steel. It was very loud and too bright for my taste. I replaced it with alnico hemp cone and like the results much more.

I then put the Texas heat in a 5E3 build that I gave to someone who plays 6 string guitar. He loves it.
Ethan Shaw

Post by Ethan Shaw »

I have a couple of those in a silverface twin. Sounds killer for non-pedal steel. The only pedal steels I have are Fender, and it's not my favorite for those, but they are inherently bright. I think if you were using something with darker pickups, it would sound great.
Christopher Kux

Post by Christopher Kux »

Great speaker for solo guitar, but I think I would want something tighter in the bass response for steel.

I play my Texas Heat with a strat and a telecaster and it’s fantastic. Careful on how I play it, though, I have to consider that sometimes the low end isn’t as articulate as other speakers, and notes can get lost. In fast passages and full chords.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

JR, I have a new one in the box I purchased last year with the intention of trying it in a cabinet on various amps. Haven't got around to it yet. Tony Prior used one in a Hot Rod Deluxe amp and said he was happy with it. I know the guitar community loves them.