Rod Position Proper Setup

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Hutzler

Rod Position Proper Setup

Post by Paul Hutzler »

I have an all pull Carter S-10. On the changer there are 4 raise holes and 2 lower holes. I always have to relearn this but I think I understand how the leverage principles work on the raises: (in the below scenario, the guitar is in normal playing orientation, feet on the floor)
1. on the bellcranks, the slot closer to the floor will result in the hardest and fastest pull
2. on the changer, the slot closer to the ceiling will result in the hardest and fastest pull

Did I get that right?

Ok... but my real question is. For the lowers, does points 1 and 2 above still hold true? I think for the bellcrank its the same --slot closer to floor is harder and faster. But is it the opposite for the lowers (from the raises) on the changer end? That is, the lower to the floor, the harder and faster the pull.
Carter S-10, Shobud D-10, Shobud Pro II D-10, Supro 8 String Lap Steel, Regal Black Lightening Dobro, and Excel D-10 with 10 pickups one for each string, one string for each amp
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Paul, the answer is "yes" to both questions.

You have the leverage correct -- and the rules are consistent within the changer-end of things: with the guitar set up in playing position, closer to the ceiling on the changer is hardest and fastest... regardless of whether it's a raise or a lower.

And those rules are reversed at the bellcrank end of things.
===========================

Since we work on the guitar upside down, I prefer to visualize this stuff with the guitar oriented that way rather then way we've been discussing it above. These diagrams are with the guitar UPSIDE DOWN:

The Bellcrank (labeled "Pull Bar" here):

The Changer(note that the rules are reversed as compared to the bellcrank)
Paul Hutzler

Post by Paul Hutzler »

Ok cool, Tucker. Thanks for the clarification. And also thanks for clearly spelling out the orientation. Half the time people are discussing bell cranks and changers, it always seem ambiguous which orientation they're talking about! :)
Carter S-10, Shobud D-10, Shobud Pro II D-10, Supro 8 String Lap Steel, Regal Black Lightening Dobro, and Excel D-10 with 10 pickups one for each string, one string for each amp
Paul Mozen

BC changer

Post by Paul Mozen »

So I just switched 4 rods on my Carter D10 Basically Day to Emmons. I used the middle hole on the Bellcrank. Now the raises seem very hard on the A and C pedals. ??? what did I do wrong?
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Follow the Carter rodding chart. On the pull bar, #1 is the hole closest to the cross shaft.

https://www.scribd.com/document/5447413 ... ding-Chart
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Paul Mozen

Post by Paul Mozen »

Thanks Richard,
Now I will spend all day with my guitar upside down changing the rods.
Scott Spanbauer

Post by Scott Spanbauer »

Also available on the web here, if you don't want to sign up for Scribd:

http://steelguitar.com/rodding.html
Carter D10, Emmons GS10, T8 Stringmaster, 50s Fender Deluxe
johnnyblueheart.com
Justin Emmert

Post by Justin Emmert »

A really great steel mechanic taught me how make changes on my guitar. I think the single best thing he taught me was to write down the hole positions of the pedals/levers I was going to change before I started moving anything. That way I could always go back to zero if I screwed anything up.
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

Scott Spanbauer wrote:Also available on the web here, if you don't want to sign up for Scribd:

http://steelguitar.com/rodding.html
Is there a Push Pull chart anywhere?

bob
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Also take pictures. That helps too.
2013 Williams D-10, 2019 Williams D-10, 1970 Fender Twin, Evans SE200, Fender Tonemaster Twin, Hilton pedal, Jagwire Strings.
Patrick Timmins

Post by Patrick Timmins »

Hi Paul.

The Carter rodding chart is a good start, but leaves some pulls unbalanced, or un-timed as some would say (as in, pulls on 2 strings may not start and end at the same time). I have converted 3 Carter U12s to extended E 9 and had to stray from the Carter chart a bit to get the pulls to start and stop at the same time.

Stop by the shop sometime and I can show you how to get everything pulling synchronously.

Patrick.
Microphones, Recording, and lots of pedal steel guitars!
Paul Mozen

Rod Position

Post by Paul Mozen »

Well Patrick , Do you have a shop in Fl?
Patrick Timmins

Post by Patrick Timmins »

Hi Paul.
Sorry no shop in Fl. The original poster (also Paul) is from my area (Seattle).
Microphones, Recording, and lots of pedal steel guitars!