Interesting Info About George Strait/Opry

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Lee Baucum

Interesting Info About George Strait/Opry

Post by Lee Baucum »

https://youtu.be/L8bUhSBbKpc

One of the anomalies in Country music is "The King" George Strait is not a member of the Grand Ole Opry, and he has barely even stepped foot into the famous Opry house. Rumors have circulated through the years as to why George Strait has never been a member of the Grand Ole Opry, but it may not be as complicated as most fans think. This video details the real reason why George Strait is not a member of the Grand Ole Opry.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

George Strait is a Texan; always has been and always will be. That is all the notoriety anyone needs to Country Music. Nashville is second place to Texas; always has been and always will be in the Spirit of Country Music.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Abram Denzlinger

Post by Abram Denzlinger »

When we did an Opry tour several years ago, our guide brought this up as a trivia question during the tour. "Who is the only artist who has ever turned down an invitation...". He explained that they ask a lot from Opry artists and that George didn't want to make that kind of commitment. It was very matter of fact, and there didn't seem to be any bad blood at all.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I'm surprised to hear that George is the only one. I've heard other artists on various talk and other shows mention the Opry commitment was a big one that might interfere with tours and/or better playing jobs.

Obviously I fully understand it's a huge honor to be invited with many benefits to being a GOO member.
Abram Denzlinger

Post by Abram Denzlinger »

"I'm surprised to hear that George is the only one..."

The video above made it sound like there might be others too, but didn't specify any.
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

In my experience there are others. I’ve never heard of bad blood; just business decisions that had to be made.
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Roy Carroll

Post by Roy Carroll »

Faron Young once told Roy Acuff, "Why should I come here from off the road to play for scale, when I am getting $10,000.00 a night." George make over $1m a night.
It is a total business decision. He can also be accepted when he retires if he wants to.
Just north of the Weird place, south of Georgetown
Jim Fogle

Post by Jim Fogle »

Wikipedia has a list by decade of all 228 members of the Grand Ole Opry here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... ry_members.

A second list in alphabetical order is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... ry_members

Notable missing names include Merle Haggard, Buck Owens and George Strait.
Remembering Harold Fogle (1945-1999) Pedal Steel Player
Dell laptop Win 10, i3, 8GB, 480GB
2023 BiaB UltraPlus PAK
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW