Amp question

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Les Neufeld

Amp question

Post by Les Neufeld »

Anybody use or know how/if ‘orange’ amps any good for pedal steel? One for sale locally, nice n light but havnt heard one or know any Steelers who use one. Live in western Canada so kinda limited when it comes to steel equipment.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

I would not recommended an Orange amp for anything but distorted guitar. Not pedal steel friendly due to tons of extra harmonic noise.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Try it out. Might be great. The guy in Mike and the Moonpies used one of those super light little heads for a while and he sounded pure country and fantastic.
Bob
Zachary Moulton

Post by Zachary Moulton »

I did use one for a while.. It’s rad if you don’t need to get loud… I have a tweed 59 Bassman cab that’s cut to 1x12 I picked up a few years ago and I’m always looking for something small to use with it.. I recently made it into a practice bass amp for my girlfriend using a TC Electronic 200w mini bass head, and a Celestion BN12… I plugged my steel into it just to practice and it sounds killer.. I’ve been using it in our live shows and love it.. Doesn’t thump too much cause it’s super lightweight, but I’ve been having some killer shows with it.. Don’t rule anything out..
Dave Hepworth

Post by Dave Hepworth »

Hi I posted a similar question about a week ago here with no replies at mo.
I am thinking of getting the Orange Supercrush 100 combo after playing my Tele. thro one .They are a new product from Orange and sound amazingly non SS with a lovely warm clean sound.Using a graphic eq pedal in front of a PSG should yeild a great tone.
Zachary Moulton

Post by Zachary Moulton »

Dave, I say go for it.. Looks like a solid amp and a good deal..