Played through a Kemper Profiler today

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

memphislim wrote:Jim, I made that profile! Glad you like it. I ran my Zum Hybrid into a Digitech 2120 for precision EQ then to my Milkman Sideman. Good news is you don't need to lug around a Milkman, you already have it in your Kemper. It is identical minus tube hum, plus 600 watts of headroom if you have the powered version of the Kemper.
Excellent! Thanks so much. I was hoping someone here would claim it, so I could send my appreciation.

Have you done any others? I immediately went to the Rig Exchange to try and find more of your stuff.

- Jim
Don Downes

Post by Don Downes »

PERFECT. After my wife bought me a Bentley for Christmas, I see this. Dang.

Anyone wanna by a Bentley?
Tele, Strat, Gretsch 12-string, 335, Yamaha Bass, Blues Deluxe Reissue, JC-120, Hammond BV, Yamaha MO8, DW Collector Series drums, Cubase, and more stuff
Charley Paul

Post by Charley Paul »

I have a Fractal FM3 that I use for recording when I can’t mic up an amp. It’s a direct competitor with the Kemper units and it sounds fantastic for recording. Perfect tones every time.

However, I would NEVER bring it to a gig. It “sounds like the record” when playing to a backing track, and sounds great in a recorded mix. But in a club, next to a tube amp (or ss amp) and a good speaker, it sounds weak and thin. And if I showed up to a gig with it, I’d get laughed at.

So it lives in my studio, has made it onto quite a few records since I got it last year ( 6 records to be exact, most still awaiting release). But I’ve never gotten complaints about my tone through it on record, in fact just the opposite.
Tim Pillow

Post by Tim Pillow »

Well I’ll say this…the steel guitar profiles come alive playing through a real amp/cabinet in my case I’m using a quilter 12 inch cabinet with tone block202. This unit sounds REALLY good with in ear monitors too, lots of detail. I tried it with a FRFR PA monitor and I can say it sounds thin sterile and the profiles seem to not have any life to them no matter what I tried. FRFR/PA speakers just don’t work for steel guitars at least not for what I’m expecting from a 2K machine using professional created profiles.
Scott Denniston

Post by Scott Denniston »

I'm liking mine through a solid state pa amp (Stewart) stereo out to two Eminence TT-15s in Huff cabs. I think the guitar voiced speakers as monitors make a big difference. If you go out stereo in the monitor section (using "monitor cab off") then you're not using the cab emulation for your monitor. You still have the main outs (with the cab IRs on) that can go to the pa as well.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Who has any experiences to share with using a Dobro (w/ JD Aura) through the KPA?

What about an acoustic guitar?
Tim Harr

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Tim Harr wrote:Who has any experiences to share with using a Dobro (w/ JD Aura) through the KPA?

What about an acoustic guitar?
Tim......I played my Fishman pickup equipped dobro into the Kemper Stage, with a JD Aura in the effects loop......and have that loop first in the effects chain. Then I made a performance with all the dobro sounds I wanted, using that effects loop. Works great.....only "issue" is the space and power supply the Aura takes up on my Kemper board (Pedaltrain JR Max). Thinking of mounting the JD on the underside on the Pedaltrain, since I don't need to turn it on and off at all. Would be great if somone could make IR's of the JD Aura's images, but I haven't seen that yet.

I also run my acoustic guitars and mando through there, and use a profile of an acoustic preamp that I found on the Rig Exchange. Using the internal Kemper EQ, comp, modulations, delay and reverb works really well.

Good luck!
Michael Hartz

Post by Michael Hartz »

You should be able to just “profile all the JD settings and save them as rigs. I profiled my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and it sounded great.
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Michael Hartz wrote:You should be able to just “profile all the JD settings and save them as rigs. I profiled my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and it sounded great.
Michael…….can you explain how you did that? Thanks!
Michael Hartz

Post by Michael Hartz »

Ran a 1/4” cable out of the back of the Kemper( sorry,don”t remember which jacks) into the Fishman and back out into the Kemper. Just follow the profiling procedure in the manual. After profiling was done I strummed some strings and refined the profile a bit then saved it. Easy to do. You can profile overdrive pedals also. Here, I found this. I just skipped the reference amp and just went out of the pedal back into the return jack.
Thomas Alexander

Post by Thomas Alexander »

Those Victory amps look pretty interesting. The V40 especially seems very affordable for a handwired all-tube amp.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

You guys using a powered KPA …
What speaker are you using ?
(a) powered FRFR monitor?
(b) actual guitar speaker cabinet ( 1-12”) ?

Thanks.
Tim Harr

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89
Tim Pillow

Post by Tim Pillow »

If you a Kemper get the powered head version as you will want to experience the amp in the room sound with these profiles sound running your own speaker and cabinet. I was running PF350 with a 12 inch quilter cab and it sounded amazing with the steel guitar profiles I was using.
I actually sold mine and now I regret it. Looking to buy one again. it is super versatile, and now kemper has come out with a major software update called liquid profiling.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

For those interested in trying the Kemper, I have a complete Kemper package for sale in the amps for sale section.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc