How are we cleaning our reso cones these days?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ian

How are we cleaning our reso cones these days?

Post by Ian »

Hey Gang,

I've got a Beard MA-6 that sounded absolutely gorgeous when I got it just over three years ago from Elderly. Last year I noticed a "buzzing" on the fifth string, mostly between the third and fifth fret. I assume it's time to takeoff the cover-plate and clean the cone. What's the current thinking on dobro maintenance these days?

Thanks,

Ian
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Doesn't sound typical of a cone problem. If the buzz is on a single string, start with the string, bridge insert slot, nut slot, 5th string tuner.

Also tweak the tension screw (1/2-1 rotation after you feel resistance). Loose tension screws give all kinds of wacky symptoms.

As for cone cleaning, a few drops of liquid dish detergent and lots of warm water. Dry and reinstall, noting correct spider placement.

THIS VIDEO may be helpful.

Report back.

h
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Ian

Post by Ian »

Howard,

Thank you so much for your reply. My first reaction was to indeed tighten the tension screw about a half turn which didn't seem to do anything, perhaps I could go tighter. I changed the strings and it seemed a little better, barely noticeable tuned to open G with the bar across all the strings. But single notes on the fifth string still buzz. And it's more pronounced when tuned to open D, which produces less tension. I have yet to watch the video you kindly sent but what should I look for regarding the bridge insert slot, nut slot and 5th string tuner? Thanks again.

Ian
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Hmmmm..

Unless I misunderstand, the tension is the same on the single 5th string in both tunings as that string is a "D" in both tunings.

Are you certain it's actually the string buzzing and not a reaction elsewhere on (or in) the guitar, tuner, tail,etc. Is the solid rubber spacer still under the tail.

As far as inspection of the insert, roughly 1/3- 1/2 the diameter of the string should be above the slot. If the entire string is embedded/captured in the slot that result in a buzz or sitar type sound. Check for any chips or cracks along the 5th string slot

What gauge string for string 5? Should be in the range of
035 (wound).

Try this (may need 3rd hand), while picking the 5th string apply downward pressure on that string between the bridge and the tail. Do the same between the nut and tuner and note any changes.

If no joy than it might need a dobro guy to dig deeper.

Hope you find the issue.

h
Ian

Post by Ian »

Howard,

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post. I finally watched the video link you sent me; so much great information. I wish that I had watched that before I started performing "surgery" on my dearly departed late 90's import Regal and my current early 00's Vintage R, which has never sounded better thanks to that Legend cone and its open D tuning. I do think, however, that you may have misunderstood. My 4th string is a wound 35, tuned to D, which doesn't change in either G or D tunings. It's the 5th string, a 45, tuned to B in G tuning and lowered to A in D tuning that is giving me the problem. Again, it may be as simple as tightening the tension screw; I'll probably check it out tomorrow. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me and others.

And this is why I am such a big fan of this forum. Bobby Lee, THANK YOU for making this happen. You will be missed ...

Ian Reynolds
Last edited by Ian on 10 Mar 2023 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Ian wrote:Howard,

I do think, however, that you may have misunderstood. My 4th string is a wound 35, tuned to D, which doesn't change in either G or D tunings. It's the 5th string, a 45, tuned to B in G tuning and lowered to A in D tuning that is giving me the problem.
Oops, my bad on string 5, of course.

FWIW..The guitar in the video was a 92 Vintage R prototype. A terrific guitar.

Those videos gave me something to do during the worst pandemic times. Kept me out of trouble (mostly)!

Cheers

h
Ian

Post by Ian »

Howard,

No worries. I just love my Vintage R; that prototype sure is sweet!

Enjoy the weekend,

Ian