Robert Paul Lee (Bobby Lee) Aug 1949 - Mar 2023

Tribute to the eternal spiritual leader of the Steel Guitar Forum, Bobby Lee.
Will Slack

Post by Will Slack »

RIP b0b. As so many have mentioned, this forum has been the single greatest resource for me in learning steel guitar by many miles. It's the only forum I've encountered (on any topic) that's actually helpful, entertaining and community building.
Nathan Golub

Post by Nathan Golub »

Rest in peace, Bobby Lee. Condolences to his family.
Eric Dahlhoff

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

Oh no!!! What a shock.
I was lucky enough to meet b0b and take a couple lessons from him when I was first starting on steel. What a sweet guy. I will miss you.
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)
John Rockefeller

Post by John Rockefeller »

Sincere condolence and best wishes for the family... he touched so many lives in a positive way.
Matthew Walton

Post by Matthew Walton »

This is horrible. RIP to the best and most level-headed forum admin a person could ask for.

It's crazy to think that one person was basically single-handedly responsible for creating the most complete repository of information for an instrument, with of course the help of all the members who congregate here. b0b belongs in every music hall of fame in the world.
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112
Jim McGinnis

bOb

Post by Jim McGinnis »

Prayers for Bobs family. We owe bOb so much for all he's done for our beloved instrument and its players around the world. He will surely be missed.
Jim McGinnis
Fish

Post by Fish »

I just now saw this. What devastatingly sad news.

Bob Lee gave all steel players and fans this very special place to gather online. What a gift! We never met, but all of my dealings with him were kind, giving, and selfless. The Buddy Emmons book would not exist without the help of Bob and the Steel Guitar Forum. I’m thankful and appreciative for all he gave to us.

I offer my heartfelt, sincere condolences to his family. I’m so sorry for your loss.
May he rest in peace.

Steve Fishell
Lefty Schrage

A great loss

Post by Lefty Schrage »

So sorry to learn we have lost you Bobby. Your efforts surely have made a tremendous contribution to our steel guitar community. Thanks for all you have done and may our Lord grant you peace. God Bless! My sympathies also go out to his family.
...lefty
Mark Greenway

Post by Mark Greenway »

Bobby Lee left a large footprint on this planet. RIP b0b.
Rick Bernauer

Post by Rick Bernauer »

My condolences to b0b's family. Creating and fostering a sense of community among steel players is a great and admirable legacy.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

I just now found out … I’m shocked I don’t know what to say

Luke Schneider

Post by Luke Schneider »

I never met bOb but i’m compelled to comment here because, as others have said, this forum changed my life. I am so thankful for the information and resources i found here, my journey and career on pedal steel would have been impossible without the Steel Guitar Forum. b0b was a phenomenal steward of this site and managed the thousands of personalities that gathered here with selflessness.

My condolences to bOb’s family and friends. I hope they can be comforted at this time knowing that his contributions to the steel guitar community are immeasurable, vital, and timeless.
Chuck Walker

Post by Chuck Walker »

"Well done, thou good and faithful servant." You will be dearly missed.
Mike DiAlesandro

bOb

Post by Mike DiAlesandro »

Thank you for all you have done bOb. What can I say that hasn't been said... your personal way of handling this forum made us all feel welcome.

Rest in Peace bOb, your legacy will live on and continue to inspire countless future steel players.

Mike D
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Such sad news. RIP b0b, and condolences to family and friends.

So many of us cite our musical heroes and how they influenced our own lives and how we play our instrument. It is strange how someone we never met can seem like a personal friend and mentor, but that is exactly how I feel about those heroes. Mr. Lee belongs right there with them. For me, he was a positive influence, a benefactor, and a credit to the human race. I regret that will I never get the chance to thank him in person.
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Fred Treece wrote:Such sad news. RIP b0b, and condolences to family and friends.

So many of us cite our musical heroes and how they influenced our own lives and how we play our instrument. It is strange how someone we never met can seem like a personal friend and mentor, but that is exactly how I feel about those heroes. Mr. Lee belongs right there with them. For me, he was a positive influence, a benefactor, and a credit to the human race. I regret that will I never get the chance to thank him in person.
My thoughts exactly Fred.
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Bryce Van Parys

Post by Bryce Van Parys »

Thanks for all you've done bOb So many of us would not be playing steel today if it were not for this vital resource. Carry on and we will join you for the big jam in the sky!
Bryce
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, Fender Deluxe 8 string

Double bass, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
jim flynn

words cant describe whats been lost

Post by jim flynn »

God bless bOb and his family.
Thank you Bob!
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

RIP, b0b … and thank you from those of us who appreciate all you did for this musical community.
James Gennrich

Rip Bob

Post by James Gennrich »

God bless you Bob. You single handley helped thousands of steel guitar players navagate there journey too play a steel. Without the forum we would not have a date base of forum players to learn from , and your knowledge. Rip BoB. You will be very missed.
Mark McConville

Post by Mark McConville »

I never met the man, but I sure look at this site more than I care to admit. It has helped to make me a better picker and musician.

May the Forum be a lasting testimony of the community b0b fostered. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
Delbert Phelps

Bob

Post by Delbert Phelps »

Wow what a shock when I saw this !! RIP my friend , you will be missed dearly. Condolences to the family .
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Just seeing this...very sad to hear about his passing. It's hard to measure the impact that this Forum has made on the world of Pedal Steel Guitar. When I began to learn to play in the early 1970's it was very different from now. It was hard to get a seasoned player to show you much. When I joined in 1999 I was in awe finding how everyone was sharing information and willing to help each other...even participation by many of the "big guys" being accessible to everyone. I think we owe Bobby Lee much thanks.

I had the opportunity to meet him at a convention once and visited by phone a couple of times, and he was very kind gentleman. I'd like to "thank" his family for sharing him with us, as I know the Forum was a major undertaking.
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Learning about Bobby’s passing is a huge shock. The world is made poorer by his passing, but is truly richer because he was here. Rest in peace, b0b. You will be missed.
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

Thank you, Bob. I'm forever grateful for the knowledge, joy and sense of community this site has given me.