Robert Paul Lee (Bobby Lee) Aug 1949 - Mar 2023

Tribute to the eternal spiritual leader of the Steel Guitar Forum, Bobby Lee.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Tom Quinn wrote:B0b in his own way was as important to pedal steel as any of the great pickers. He sure touched a lot of pickers and those folks touched a lot of listeners around the world.
Never a truer word spoken.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Lee McGuire

God Bless Bob

Post by Lee McGuire »

I Joined the Forum 25 years ago. This is the saddest post on the Forum. I've had to write. Bob was always with me no matter what!

My condolences to his family,

Lee McGuire
Sylvan Williams

Post by Sylvan Williams »

I'm so sorry to hear this news of Bob's passing

I haven't been on the forum for very long, but almost immediately Bob engaged on a post about my new/old Sierra that was my first guitar with thoughtful and encouraging advice

Bob's vision for, and execution of the forum, is a testament to how much of an impact one person can have on countless others' lives. It's almost mind-boggling

I'd like to help in anyway I can and made a general forum donation this morning since that's the only thing I know to do immediately. I'd encourage others to do the same, but I don't know if it's appropriate, or needed

Thank you, Bob. And my sincerest condolences to Bob's family and close friends
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

b0b facilitated connections that would otherwise have not been made. Thank you b0b, you'll be missed
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Dan Behringer

Post by Dan Behringer »

This is truly sad news! B0b’s efforts touched the lives of practically every steel guitar player in the world. He was a great man!
Last edited by Dan Behringer on 9 Mar 2023 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Condolences to the family.

Rest easy b0b.........
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Dana Blodgett

Post by Dana Blodgett »

RIP Bob, & my condolences to the family!
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Steve Green

Post by Steve Green »

RIP b0b.

I have enjoyed your creation greatly.

Prayers for you family and friends . . .
Ole Dantoft

Post by Ole Dantoft »

I'd like to offer my sincerest condolences to B0b's family!

What a shock! I haven't been logged in here for a number of years, as I have stopped playing, but I still check in from time to time and today happened to be one of those times. I immediately saw the new section and my heart sank.

I didn't know B0b personally, but I met him briefly in St. Louis the year they took the Forum picture and we had the little colored dots on our badges and he seemed like a real nice guy to me.

Rest in peace, Bobby Lee (B0b).

Ole
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

No words are adequate at this very sad time, except to offer condolences to b0b's family and friends. The work that he put into the forum was extraordinary. His decision making was always measured and very careful. May he Rest In Peace.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

R.I.P. bOb and thank you for this fantastic forum. I am...we are missing you. My condolences to the family.
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

R.I.P. bOb and thank you for all you gave us. I am...we are missing you. My condolences to the family.
Mark S. Miller

Post by Mark S. Miller »

So sad to hear this news. I do not think a day goes by that i do not check in with this forum. I have come to think of Bob and his family as my family. my prayers are with all.
David Laveau

Post by David Laveau »

Deepest condolences for your loss.
Bob Shilling

Post by Bob Shilling »

Overwhelming news. :( RIP b0b. We first met on UseNet, pre-WWW, and had met in person several times over the years. Bobby was a great guy, and the world will be a poorer place without him.

Condolences to the family.
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10, "Classic"
Gerard Rowan

RIP and thank you b0b

Post by Gerard Rowan »

So sad to hear this news. We're all very much in Bobby's debt for his tireless dedication to the Forum - such a wonderful resource, especially for us steelers in more remote locations. B0b was always so friendly and pleasant to deal with. Greatly missed.
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

b0b changed the world of steel guitar.... big time! For once I may be at a loss for words.
Dave Wren
'96 Carter U12,7X7; 1936 7 string National; Line 6 HX Stomp; Quilter TT-15/TB202; Quilter "Steelaire"; DV Mark "GH 250"with 15" 1501 BW; Boss "Katana" 100 Head w/Line 6 Cab; Telonics VP.
Edward Efira

Post by Edward Efira »

R.I.P. bOb,
Thank you for all you've done to help our instrument thrive.
Your legacy will live forever.
<small><b>'75 Sho-Bud 4&4, '01 Zumsteel 8&8, 2012 Zum Hybrid 4&6</b></small>
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

Such sad news. I can't think of ANYONE who has done more to build the presence of the Steel Guitar in our world - What an accomplishment.

I know that I would have never started playing, or kept playing if it wasn't for bOb and his wonderful, selfless creation.

RIP bOb. thanks for everything.
John Norris

Post by John Norris »

Sincere condolences to Bobby's family.
He created and maintained this unique forum which is a great testament to his memory.
RIP Bobby Lee
John Norris
Peterson Strobe Tuners
- Celebrating 75 Years of Tuning Products in 2023!
Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

My deepest respect to Bobby Lee. His pursuit of the simple 8-string pedal steel will always remind me that often, less is more.
Al

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
The ghost of a red Doberman
Several pairs of reading glasses strewn about
Jason Stillwell

Post by Jason Stillwell »

So sorry to hear of Bob's passing. I'm happy to have met him at the Dallas show several years ago and will certainly keep his family in my prayers in the coming days. This forum has been wonderful, and I am happy to hear that his family is planning to continue to maintain it.
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

What sad news! b0b's creation and care of the Steel Guitar Forum gave us all so much. Our growth as a "community" owes a great deal to b0b. RIP Bobby Lee.
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

It's hard to overstate how much the SGF has meant to me in terms of information, inspiration, and community. I'll always be grateful to b0b for that. I enjoyed his posts and the few interactions I've had with him. I sensed a kindred spirit in that he didn't feel overly constricted by tradition, with his innovative copedents, for example. With his background and skills, and his generosity and fair-mindedness, he was probably the only person who could have accomplished what he did in creating this wonderful community and shepherding it in such excellent fashion for so many years. What a gift to all of us.
Greg Vincent

Post by Greg Vincent »

Thank you for everything, b0b. This Forum changed my life. -GV