Push Pull Serial Number Question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Webb Kline

Push Pull Serial Number Question

Post by Webb Kline »

Here is a mystery perhaps an Emmons guy can solve. I went to look at this push pull yesterday. Nice guitar overall. Price is right, even though it needs to be set up and action needs cleaned up. Guitar otherwise is in very good condition. But this serial number threw me for a loop. It doesn't match anything I can find as being PP vintage. It is said to be early to mid 70's. I don't see anything above the 2000's. But if you look at this number, it looks like it has been altered. Could it have been stolen at some point? It was owned by the present owner's grandfather, who is dead, and it hasn't been played in 10 years. I owned it at least as far back as the 1980's. Any ideas?

Webb Kline--Yes, it's my real name and no, I don't own a Webb amp or a Kline guitar.
Derby D10 8+5, Beard MA-6 Reso, MSA 10-5 5+5 Tour Pro, whenever it gets here. Way too many toys to mention besides these.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

6xxx serial #s are from the early '80s, the last PPs built before they went all-in on the LeGrande. That serial number has obviously been changed, 6443 to 6557, which is curious...
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Webb Kline

Post by Webb Kline »

Thats the best I could make out of it as well. The 6 prefix is what threw me a loop, because I thought the ended around 28 or 2900. Thanks.
Webb Kline--Yes, it's my real name and no, I don't own a Webb amp or a Kline guitar.
Derby D10 8+5, Beard MA-6 Reso, MSA 10-5 5+5 Tour Pro, whenever it gets here. Way too many toys to mention besides these.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

The serial number anomaly looks to me like a factory job, probably for bookkeeping reasons, like an endplate re-use. The guitar is over 40 years old, I wouldn't worry.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

Did it have LeGrande pedals?
Webb Kline

Post by Webb Kline »

Mike Vallandigham wrote:Did it have LeGrande pedals?
Yes, it does.
Webb Kline

Post by Webb Kline »

Herb Steiner wrote:The serial number anomaly looks to me like a factory job, probably for bookkeeping reasons, like an endplate re-use. The guitar is over 40 years old, I wouldn't worry.
Herb, that ,akes as much sense as anything I've heard. Yeah, I'm not worried about it. Just curious. What threw me for a loop was that I thought the push pulls ended at 2948.