Interesting spring locations on push-pull lowers.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tommy Detamore

Interesting spring locations on push-pull lowers.

Post by Tommy Detamore »

I took this guitar in to work on and it has many of the shock springs for the lowers on the ends of the rods near the changer fingers. Aside from the possibility that in operation a rod might interfere with a raise finger, I can’t see any other disadvantages to this method. And the advantages are that the springs are easy to get to and adjust and change as necessary.

Anybody else out there that has seen this on a push-pull? Wondering who might have come up with this method?

Tommy Detamore
Quilter Labs, Goodrich Sound, Source Audio, Neunaber Audio, and Stringjoy Authorized Dealer

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
George Duncan Sypert

Under side

Post by George Duncan Sypert »

Tommy could you please post pictures of the complete underside. Very interesting setup.

Thanks,

George
Andy Gibson

Post by Andy Gibson »

Clem Schmitz does that in his push pull video. He says it works the same either way. I’ve got my 3rd string lower on C6th like that so the collar on the push rod doesn’t hit up against the collar that holds the drop return spring in place.
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Always learning something on here…
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

Ah yes Clem! I had a vague recollection of seeing this somewhere. I had the Bobbe Seymour PP video once and I thought maybe I had seen it on there. Thanks Andy!
Tommy Detamore
Quilter Labs, Goodrich Sound, Source Audio, Neunaber Audio, and Stringjoy Authorized Dealer

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

My experience is limited but I've never seen or thought of this. I'm trying to make a case in my head for there maybe being a slightly different feel when the bellcrank hits the spring vs. this rod-end application. I don't know what I think....
dlayne

Pp

Post by dlayne »

The late Charlie Ward put that on my PP in the late 90,s
Dan Layne
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Interesting. I can't think of a downside.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Andy Gibson

Post by Andy Gibson »

Derek Puckett

Post by Derek Puckett »

I’m not sure, how this will help on a push pull on a all pull these would be raise assist. But a PP I would think it would make it stiffer.
Larry Hopkins

Springs

Post by Larry Hopkins »

Why just on the c-6 neck
Lh
,peavey renown 115,Vegas 400, Peavey envoy, peavy bandit 65 head,baby bloomer
2 -Nashville 400, Emmons SD-10 legrande lll ,Emmons Black Rock ,sho-bud pac a seat,,;
Andy Gibson

Post by Andy Gibson »

It’s only on the C6th because it’s too cramped on the 3rd string lower and the 4th lower is there because it’s just easier to get to. I don’t think it’s a good idea to do this on lowers that need longer shock springs. And doing this doesn’t make it stiffer it has no effect on playability. But I’m not an expert, I’m only going by what Clem does on his video and the few times I’ve talked to him on the phone….he’s good people. If you own a push pull, you’ve got to get his video and reprint of the emmons instruction manual he sells on the ebay channel.
Andy Gibson

Post by Andy Gibson »

There’s allot of good things on Clems video. Like the 1/4” ball bearing in the cross shafts trick. He told me he learned that from Weldon Myrick. Frees up some friction and helps make the pedal action smoother.
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

You are so right Andy! Clem has been such a great help to me over the years. And I so enjoy his teaching materials. He's just a jewel!

BTW the 8th and 9th string lowers on E9 have the springs near the changer. Maybe the 6th as well, it's hard to see in the pic.
Tommy Detamore

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I never knew the ball bearing in the shaft hole was not factory stock.
Livin', learnin'.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Hmmmmm, very interesting. I’ve looked and looked and can’t imagine any advantage to this since there are already shock springs up by bell crank. Tommy, does it change the feel on the lowers? I can’t see any disadvantage to it either other than little more trouble to install. I have seen this before somewhere and didn’t think much about it at the time.

I can’t see rest of guitar but will to bet there are no compression springs by bell cranks. Then I could see how these would be useful. If there are compression springs by bell cranks, then these by changer just really wouldn’t help.
Last edited by Henry Matthews on 8 Mar 2023 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Jerry Jones

Post by Jerry Jones »

Looks like it would be much easier to try different length shock springs.
Jerry Jones