Playing Around With Copedent Ideas (Updated)

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Hutzler

Playing Around With Copedent Ideas (Updated)

Post by Paul Hutzler »

Updated:

1. Bye bye BC pedal minor chord -- I did away with the C pedal (the minor chord pedal when using BC). I did want to keep the C pedal's 4th string change-- the E to F# raise. So I put it on the LKV. When I step on A and B, I can raise my knee and hit LKV to get the same notes that I got with the BC pedal minor chord. I like it because the 4 string E to F# seems more useful when its not tied to the B to C# change like it is on the stock C pedal.

2. 6th String Split tuning on C pedal - C pedal now lowers 6th string G# to F# or if I step on BC together, I get a minor chord in the first position. This works great. Rock the pedals and the b3 on the 6th string changes to a 2 or a 4. Its very intuitive.

3. Getting rid of the chromatic notes on strings 9 and 7 -- This is maybe my weirdest change. The RKL lowers 7th string F# to E and 9th string from D# all the way down to B. (By the way, I tune my 9th string to D#.) With the RKL lever engaged, strings 10, 9 ,8, 7 are B, B, E, E in the first position.

The reason I'm doing this is I want to "country blues pick" (aka travis pick) the pedal steel and this change will be helpful in that maybe. It gets rid of the lower chromatic strings on 9 and 7 that are hard to work around when I'm plucking the bass notes back and forth in the first position. I haven't fully explored if but so far I like it. It gives cool new sounds in almost every position. Also that 2 step drop on the 9th string from D# to B gives a cool boo-wah sound.

4. That's about it that's different or interesting. There's also a standard split tuning on the 6th string so I can get a G note with the LKR and B pedal engaged. Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Paul Hutzler on 1 Mar 2023 10:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
Carter S-10, Shobud D-10, Shobud Pro II D-10, Supro 8 String Lap Steel, Regal Black Lightening Dobro, and Excel D-10 with 10 pickups one for each string, one string for each amp
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

3. Getting rid of the chromatic notes on strings 9 and 7 -- This is maybe my weirdest change. The LKL lowers 7th string F# to E and 9th string from D# all the way down to B. (By the way, I tune my 9th string to D#.) With the LKL lever engaged, strings 10, 9 ,8, 7 are B, B, E, E in the first position.
I think you meant to say RKL.
This is pretty radical! Good luck.
Paul Hutzler

Post by Paul Hutzler »

Good catch, Fred. I fixed the typo. And thanks for having a look at my weirdo copedent. :)
Carter S-10, Shobud D-10, Shobud Pro II D-10, Supro 8 String Lap Steel, Regal Black Lightening Dobro, and Excel D-10 with 10 pickups one for each string, one string for each amp
Paul Hutzler

Post by Paul Hutzler »

this is what I was trying to do by dropping the the 9th and 7th strings to B and E.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/PinIPbX4neo
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

The LKV functionality has me thinking….thanks for sharing.
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Paul Hutzler

Post by Paul Hutzler »

Cool Marty. I think the E to F# change on a lever independent of the B to C# change works great. Hit the lever with the AB pedals and you've got the old BC pedals minor chord. Let me know what you think if you try it out.
Carl Bergman

Post by Carl Bergman »

I tried it today, on LKV, and liked it very much instantly.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

A friend of mine has E->F# on LKV. He’s played pro for 30 years. I have F#->G on that lever. I have played in my own room for 6 years. But I love that G lever and it stays.

I think since you have ditched your C pedal, then putting E->F# on LKV is a good idea, and maybe more necessary for you than F#->G.

I am not sure I understand the purpose of the G split with B/LKR, since it is combined with that D#.
Larry Allen

Coped

Post by Larry Allen »

Interesting setup! I’m also a Chet/Merle picker and set up my steels like this 30 years ago.. :D
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side