Need Help Setting Up A Tuneable Split

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Hutzler

Need Help Setting Up A Tuneable Split

Post by Paul Hutzler »

I'm experimenting with some ideas on my E9 copedant. I'm trying to set up a tuneable split on the 4th string. It'd look like this.
C pedal... E to Eb
X lever... E to F#
C + X ... E to F
My question is: does the tuneable split rod attach to a bellcrank on the X lever cross shaft or the C pedal cross shaft. Thank you for your help.
Carter S-10, Shobud D-10, Shobud Pro II D-10, Supro 8 String Lap Steel, Regal Black Lightening Dobro, and Excel D-10 with 10 pickups one for each string, one string for each amp
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

The split rod goes on the same pedal or lever as the lower, the 3rd pedal in your case. You'll tune the raise pedal/lever normally first (F# in your case), then with both engaged you'll tune the split note using the normal lowering rod on the other pedal/lever (F note in your case). This will leave the lowered note alone somewhat flat. The split rod is just a compensator that you'll use to bring the lowered note back up to the correct pitch (D# in your case). You always need to tune the split rod last. Unlike tuning with a split screw, changes to the lowering rod on the split note will also affect the pitch of the lowered note alone.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Paul Hutzler

Post by Paul Hutzler »

Thanks so much for the reply, Ian. You explained it perfectly.
Carter S-10, Shobud D-10, Shobud Pro II D-10, Supro 8 String Lap Steel, Regal Black Lightening Dobro, and Excel D-10 with 10 pickups one for each string, one string for each amp