reso strings: hearing when they become old?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Joe Burke

reso strings: hearing when they become old?

Post by Joe Burke »

Tonight I was rehearsing with a band on my resonator. At one point I played a little harder than usual up around the 12th fret and I think the string went from sounding fairly new, to a little ratlely/old sounding. Has anyone noticed a quick transition like that?
Greg Booth

Post by Greg Booth »

Yes. Was it the middle G string? The winding is a fine bronze wire and it’s always the first to go. When I was first starting out with the dobro my instrument wasn’t very loud and I remember wrecking a brand new string after one song in a loud jam trying to hear myself. Many players carry spare G strings to extend the life of a set of strings.
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

I felt like I was all the strings. But I jut switch the middle 2 stings and it’s sounding much better. So I think that was likely it. I’ll start stocking up on extra g strings.
Thanks Greg.
Rich Arnold

Post by Rich Arnold »

What Greg said is true.

With electric I can always tweak the eq when they strings start to get dull, to a point, but with acoustic dobro I change strings often. Really often.
Some of the old timers like Josh Graves and Gene Wooten used to use a plain string for the 3rd at around .020 guage so they didn't have to worry about the winding coming off or becoming deformed. Old school.