Universal players: which lever flats your e’s?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Newcomb

Universal players: which lever flats your e’s?

Post by Gary Newcomb »

Curious about this for sure and apologies if it’s been covered ad nauseam before, I searched etc...
I have always had the change on LKR but have been wondering about RKL (which currently flats B’s) I don’t tend to use the change-lok and have a one-big-tuning approach.
‘03 Sierra session u12
Uni-peeps let’s go!
Sierra Session U12, Milkman 1/2, Goodrich Omni, Divine Noise Cables, BJS, Solid cosmic gold, baby 👶🏻
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

RKL, the only and best way. JMHO. Your left feet is free to go abc45678 easily. I have the change lock on my U12 Carter. Never use it. My B to Bb change is LKV.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

E raises and E lowers on separate knees for me. I wound up with E=>Eb on RKL, regardless of U12 E9/B6, Ext E9, or standard E9 for me. I think it's a total no-brainer on universal, but I think it's a winning argument on any setup for me.

Buddy Emmons and Paul Franklin dissected the pros and cons of same knee vs. split knees for the books here - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29594 - there have been dozens of discussions over the nearly 25 years of the forum, and that thread is, IMO, one-stop shopping on this subject. Read the whole thread.

Now, bodies are different and thus the ergonomics may be different for different people. I personally find it less natural for my knees to move outward than inward, and the E=>Eb is used so much that I want it to be in the most natural position for me - RKL. But that is reversed for some players. So YMMV.

There is no 'right' answer. More than 15 years ago, I tried every permutation on a real easy-to-set-up old BMI. It took a few months of continuous tearing down and setting up, and I think it was worth the trouble. For me, at least.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

RKL. For general Universal and 'one big tuning' purposes and also for use, specifically, to split the E raises & lowers. If I were starting over I might consider RKR instead of RKL but I have zero interest in relearning stuff now.
Jim Bloomfield

Post by Jim Bloomfield »

LKR works well for me
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

RKL for me too. I learned that way, and it just seems that (especially on a Universal) when you engage the E>Eb lever you leave it in for much longer than any other KL. I can't imagine holding that change on LKR while having to dance on all the pedals with the left foot; the B6 side can be a stretch. Makes sense to pair the E>Eb change with the right foot, which is usually parked on the VP. No problem controlling the volume with RKL or RKR engaged.
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

RKR for me. Easier to hold it there for more extensive playing in th 6th mode.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

John Sluszny wrote:RKL, the only and best way. JMHO. Your left feet is free to go abc45678 easily. My B to Bb change is LKV.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

John De Maille wrote:RKR for me. Easier to hold it there for more extensive playing in th 6th mode.
Me too, and raise Es on LKR
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Slim Heilpern

Post by Slim Heilpern »

I do RKL with no lock. While I mostly play with my right foot on the volume pedal, this configuration allows me to comfortably move my right foot to the B6 pedals as needed while lowering the E's.
Chromatic Harmonica, Guitar, and Pedal Steel (Williams U12 Series 700, Emmons lap)
http://slimandpenny.com
Gary Newcomb

Post by Gary Newcomb »

Hey y’all thank you for your replies! And thanks Dave for blowing the dust off that old thread- very informative. I’m sold on it and am gonna take the plunge!
Sierra Session U12, Milkman 1/2, Goodrich Omni, Divine Noise Cables, BJS, Solid cosmic gold, baby 👶🏻
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

I played a MSA S10 With Days Set Up, LKL Lower E's, LKR Raised E's, From 1999 to 2017.

I bought a S12U, There was some Jeff Newman lessons on Pedals, Knee levers and B6th in the deal.
When I bought the GFI S12 it was Set up Emmons/Nashville.

I changed The guitar to Day Set Up. While working on the guitar I Changed the kL's to Jeff Newman's Copendent. RKL Raise 4-8-11 to F. RKR Lower 4-8 to D# and 2 to C#.

It took just a few days and the knee levers was no problem. On the 12U Newman U tuning, the (10th String B) is on the (9th string B). Playing Strings 6-8-9 instead of 6-8-10, Took some serious practice to get that move into my Neuro-Memory.

The 9th B- 10th G#- 11th E on The Newman Uni Copendent opens some new ground to explore too.
"He Stopped Loving Her Today" has possibilities.

If you jump, Good Luck and Happy Steelin.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

RKL

Here are some pics of a Mullen I played for many years.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=161579

~Lee
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Once you pick the position of the E Lower knee lever.
You may want to consider placing the Pull Rod Closer to the Cross rod in the Bell Crank. This means a longer travel on the KL, But less force to keep it engaged.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Edited: Was looking at my computer not my guitar.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

RKR Eb
RKL F
For the past 50yrs.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

RKR Lowers E's.
LKL Raises E's.
Tom Mossburg

U12 Rkl Rkr

Post by Tom Mossburg »

I played for a number of years with RKL. I switched to RKR where it is now. The muscles in your leg are able to hold the RKR longer because they are stronger than the ones used for RKL. And they don't affect your left leg as much IMO. Thats why I do RKR. Other than that, its just a matter of personal preference. Even though I have been using RKR for quite a while, I still find myself trying to use RKL on those songs I learned years ago from time to time.
MSA Studio Pro U-12 x 2, Telonics
John Sims

Post by John Sims »

RKL E's
RKR F's
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

RKL - lower E to Eb
LKL - raise E to F
Andy Gasparini

Post by Andy Gasparini »

E --> Eb = RKR
E --> F = LKR

I play Day setup CBA, so E-->F follows the A pedal.
Last edited by Andy Gasparini on 19 Apr 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mullen Royal Precision U12; 1976 ShoBud The Pro II Custom; Hilton Volume Pedal; Peavy Nashville 400; Wampler Euphoria; EH B9 Organ Machine; MXR Carbon Copy; TC Electronics HOF Reverb;
colin mcintosh

Post by colin mcintosh »

I use RKL. The old Sho-Bud configuration on my Carter U12.
And the reason is because if I need p5 and p7, the right foot can come into play without too much movement.