Original Squareneck Leno Capo

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jerry Overstreet

Original Squareneck Leno Capo

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

An acquaintance used to have one of these that he loaned me to play on dobro back in the 80s. It worked great I thought at the time. There came a time I had to return it to him.

I've since obtained another one several years ago, but it seems not to work as well. Maybe it's worn too bad. It's a little hard to latch properly and get set to clamp all the strings evenly. I replaced the sleeve tubing already.

Has anyone ever refurbished one of these things? I think they are brass. I know they're pretty rare these days...perhaps someone out there knows a few tricks?
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Hey Jerry, I have that same capo. Sorry but I don't have an answer for you. Mine is old but not worn.
George Webb

Post by George Webb »

Hi Jerry,

I have a couple of these capos. I know I've replaced the plastic/rubber sleeve at least once to keep one clamping well. The original sleeve deteriorated into pieces.

It's been too long to remember what I used but I suspect it was clear plastic water hose.

I think it will work well even if the sleeve isn't as tight as the original, but the thickness of the material affects the clamping.

Good luck,
George
Mike Christensen

Leno

Post by Mike Christensen »

I have two. Still use them. The first one is from when they first came out , second one years later. The first one is nicer made and just works nicer than the later one.
Jerry Overstreet

I got you fellas. Yeah, but this is an older original unit. It has the correct sleeve. One thing is about the screw that attaches the sleeved bar. I think I have it adjusted for the correct space when clamped. I don't know if that's it or it's just worn out.

I was just gifted a Charlie's capo, and I have an EG Smith style capo so I think I'll just pass this one along to someone else....fond as I am of these.
Garry Vanderlinde

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

I've got one of those, with the replacement sleeve, in my reso's case. Not sure why...don't think I've ever used it. You never know when you might need one I guess...
Lee Holliday

Post by Lee Holliday »

I have one, not yet had to replace the rubber, they are a lifetime tool.

Regards

Lee
Lee Rider

Post by Lee Rider »

I've got a couple of Leno's, need new rubber on both. Anyone have a source for the surgical tubing that they use? Has to be the right diameter and thickness.

Thanks

Lee Rider
StringBender Musical Instruments selling Gene Parson's StringBender products
Jerry Overstreet

Elderly used to carry it but they don't list it now. I think I used some plastic tubing. I don't remember the size though. I'll look around. If I find it, I'll let you know.
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

I don’t know if this will help, but in my little town, the Ace hardware has spools of different diameters of various types of rubber tubing.

When I need some to fit a project, i just take the item into the store and fiddle around with the bulk tubing samples until I find one that fits right, then cut off what I need (they sell by the foot).
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

Like Brooks, I’ve gotten replacement tubing for my Leno capo at Ace. 1 foot will keep you going for years. I’ve also found it at a drugstore (not the big chains, but a local Rexall that has medical supplies).

Pro tip — use a little bit of dish soap on the brass bar to help with sliding the new rubber hose on.