What is the serial number of this Ricky please?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

George Rout

What is the serial number of this Ricky please?

Post by George Rout »

RICKENBACKER MODEL No.

Hello folks, this was my first electric steel guitar. I bought it from the kid next door in 1950's. We've discussed on the Forum some years ago as to what model it is. I've lost tha data. It came from a department store in Halifax. It came with a typical 5 watt amp and matching case. Living in Quebec, I sold the combo in the 1960' for the same $35 I paid the kid next door. Over the years, I felt
Image sorry that I had sold my first electric guitar. Years later, I moved to Toronto with my job. Walking the street one day this man says “Hello George|”. I was chap I to whom I sold the guitar to 20 years ago. When I asked what happened to it, he said, “George, I just happened to dig that out of the attic for a garage sale this weekend”. I yelled, “It's sold”. He said the amp met it's death when it caught fire years ago. He gave the guitar back to me. Happiness was getting my “rickity Rickenbacker back”.

Does anybody remember what the model is. Note that one of the controls is mounted on the side whereas the other is mounted on the top.

The tuner keys have been replaced.

Now IS the time for me to find a new good home for it
http://georgerout.com

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

It's a J6. The control on the side is not original.
Anthony Blair

Post by Anthony Blair »

Here's the original thread.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=152698

The knob on the side is unusual, but it's in the vintage pic in the other thread. There are also no holes in the top in their normal location.