Mullen RP 3rd String Tuning Issue

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael M Smith

Mullen RP 3rd String Tuning Issue

Post by Michael M Smith »

First off, I'm brand new to the Pedal Steel world so forgive me if I make any mistakes in explaining my issue.

My father purchased a 2013 Mullen Steel SD10 new 9 years ago and never played it. I just acquired it from him and restrung it with Steel Strings. I also took off the rollers and cleaned and oiled them. there was definitely some friction when attempting to roll them.

So far everything is going in tune with the exception of string 3 when I press the pedal. String 6 works fine and is in tune but just not string 3. It gets to within 24 cents of being in tune and if I continue to turn the nylon nut it brings up the pitch in the open position before pressing the pedal. no matter what I attempt to do I can't seem to quite get string 3 to tune perfectly. It seems to not be able to hit the required tune with the pedal down. Any recommendation anyone has would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Mike
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Sounds like what we call "overtuned". Bacl off all (even lowers if you have them) the nylon nuts for strings 6 and 3. Retune the open strings at the keyhead. Retune the 3rd and 6 string raises with the nylon nuts. Do the 3rd string raise first.

There is a great thread on overtuning here:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326460
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Michael M Smith

Thank you very much. I will read that post now.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Michael always keep in mind to tune the thinnest string on a change first. If you can get that one in tune you will have room to tune the rest. The thinnest string takes the most travel.
2013 Williams D-10, 2019 Williams D-10, 1970 Fender Twin, Evans SE200, Fender Tonemaster Twin, Hilton pedal, Jagwire Strings.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

It takes a longer pull to get a smaller string to tune on a raise. Loosen the tuning nut on the 6th string, And forget it for right now.

Now work with the 3rd string alone. Start and tune open to G#. Then shove B Pedal and tune to A. Move the pull rod in the bell crank, Or readjust the stops to get the A note tuned correct. If needed.

Then go to the 6th string tune to G# open, Press the B Pedal and tune the raise to A.
The 6th string being larger in diameter will take less pull, And will tune between the stops set for the 3rd string.

When you get to the 5th-10th strings from B to C#, The pull of the 10th string is by core diameter. This can sometimes get a little tricky.

Good Luck getting the guitar in tune. Happy Steelin.
Michael M Smith

Hey i got it all in tune now!!! Thanks to everyone for your assistance. I had to move the rod down on the bell crank i think it is called and it worked like a champ.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Mullen is a fine guitar with one of the smoothest mechanics in the industry. My 94 Pre RP has caused me no trouble in all these years. I bought it new in 94.