Me and Big E on the same record! HaHa

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Zirbel

Me and Big E on the same record! HaHa

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I was sick at home with Covid and I was gifted a copy of Buddy’s biography (perfect timing) so I had no excuses not to read it. I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of a funny (too me) story how I ended up on a cd with Buddy. It’s funny but if it had been released it would have been embarrassing.😂

It was probably at least 25 or so years ago, my friend Kenny Cahn called me to record his originals. The plan was to have a demo cd and shop it around. Kenny was one of the first people I played steel with around 1990. He has since passed. Anyhow he assembled a group of people and rehearsed a few times and then went and spent a weekend at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley. We had to knock out 15 songs in two days and most of us were pretty green. Wally Buck was the engineer and has a great resume. Anyhow it was grueling and tiresome. Somehow we got through it. Vocal overdubs and a few other things were done on another session. Eventually the project was completed. He shopped it around and got a response which was something like, “ you have some good stuff here but you need to do it right and make it presentable”, which basically means to re-record it in Nashville. Since Kenny’s project was being funded they went for it. Kenny felt awkward since we worked hard on it , but we were all paid, and it hurt a little bit, but no big deal.

When the new recording was done, Kenny said the experience in the Nashville was amazing, watching these top gun pros work, and some guy named Buddy Emmons played steel and reso…I just about wet myself! 😂 Kenny also said he talked them into keeping three of the west coast tracks on the demo…and I almost wet myself again! 😂 Of the three west coast tracks, I play on only one..I was pretty weak…luckily it’s the very last song. BTW my name is mispelled on the credits…I did listen to the other original tracks and it really wasn’t terrible, just outdated. We sounded like early 70’s west coast post hippie honkytonk players.

Anyhow the Nashville tracks are super slick and polished, I think a forum member Greg Gailbraith plays lead guitar. There is no trace of this record anywhere on the internet but the original album is on Spotify. Maybe Kenny’s son put it on there.

I guess I have some good unreleased recordings of the Big E!
Last edited by Dave Zirbel on 11 Jan 2023 5:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Eric Dahlhoff

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

Pretty cool story Dave!
I hope the rain's not affecting you too much.

I read Buddy's biography too and really loved it.
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Cool story, Dave
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I hope the rain's not affecting you too much.
We’re doing surprisingly well. I’ve been stuck at home with Covid and haven’t had to drive anywhere. I hear it’s rough and have seen photos of neighboring towns with roads under water.

How are you doing? BTW someone came up to me after a gig and asked me if I knew you. He said he was good friends with your brother in San Francisco…of course I don’t remember his name! 😳
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Great story Dave. Thanks for sharing.
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

I noticed that Gary Buck produced it. I’m assuming it’s the Gary Buck from Canada?