Volume pedal, learning curve

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Carey Hofer

Volume pedal, learning curve

Post by Carey Hofer »

I have tried volume pedals a couple of different times for maybe an hour or so, thinking maybe it would ad a different dimension to my playing. Didn't have much luck with it. For those of you that use volume pedals, does it take a while to learn how to use one? I play 8 string non pedal steel. Haven't decided if it's worth my time.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

"Volume" pedals should properly be called "sustain" pedals, as they're used to keep the sound level constant (by counteracting the natural decay of the strings) rather than varying it.

You have to get used to a rest position which is near to shut off, and with the amp cranked well up to compensate.

For pedal guitarists like me it's an essential part of the instrument, not just an accessory, and it takes more than hours to master its use. So keep trying, if you think that added sustain is going to enhance your style of playing :)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
David Matzenik

Re: Volume pedal, learning curve

Post by David Matzenik »

Carey Hofer wrote:I have tried volume pedals a couple of different times for maybe an hour or so, thinking maybe it would ad a different dimension to my playing. Didn't have much luck with it. For those of you that use volume pedals, does it take a while to learn how to use one? I play 8 string non pedal steel. Haven't decided if it's worth my time.
As Ian says, I also use the VP for sustain, and I don't think it is particularly difficult when extending harmonics as many arrangements are quite low tempo at that stage. You have time to "set up."

The other VP situation is to mask the pick-attack of a note, thereby giving it a violin or organlike quality. This requires a fairly quick close-open movement. At first, I thought you had to anticipate the note a bit early, but that proved to be counter-intuitive. It takes practice, but its a bit like holding a bullet bar, in that one day it just works.

That being said, I'm not brilliant at it.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

Not to start a debate but to educate us unlearned users..... if they are mainly for sustain then what is the big difference, regarding performance, between a $300 pedal and a $100 (or lower priced) volume pedal?

I am attemping to learn how to use one and have read a lot of comments on how to set them up but am having a hard time determining if I need an overly expensive one or a mid priced one......

Again I am not trying to start any debates just seeking educational comments.

Thanks,
Sam
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

Samuel Phillippe wrote:Not to start a debate but to educate us unlearned users..... if they are mainly for sustain then what is the big difference, regarding performance, between a $300 pedal and a $100 (or lower priced) volume pedal?

I am attemping to learn how to use one and have read a lot of comments on how to set them up but am having a hard time determining if I need an overly expensive one or a mid priced one......

Again I am not trying to start any debates just seeking educational comments.

Thanks,
Sam
I bought a Behringer FC 600. It is a very solidly built control. Cheap enough, but I had to modify the mechanism to get it to work smoothly. No problem after a couple of years. The other thing is that I don't think the average person could replace the pot.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Because you're operating with a fair amount of input gain on the amp, a better pedal will give a result relative free of hiss or scratches.

I used a cheap pot pedal at first until I'd got the hang of it, then I bought a Hilton. The sudden clarity was amazing, but it would have been a waste to start with as I wouldn't have known where to set the cutoff point.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

ok thanks guys for your responses
Sam
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Al Brisco made a DVD that addresses volume pedal usage.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=219652
Tom Keller

Post by Tom Keller »

For my use I don't particularly need a volume pedal for lap steel. Pedal Steel of course its a necessity.
Carey Hofer

Post by Carey Hofer »

Thanks for the help everyone!