Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Matthew Lyons

Post by Matthew Lyons »

Hello!

Just got my first lap steel for Christmas...a beginner Rogue model from Musician's Friend. I've been playing guitar since I was 7 years old, dabble in banjo, and have lead successful local bands where I live for the last 20+ years. I am very excited to begin learning a new way to make music.

I've joined Lap Steel Lunatics over on Facebook and have found a wealth of knowledge. I figured I'd do that till I got approved over here. Here I am!

Was thinking about starting in open D as I've messed around with that on electric guitar. I've received some good tips on how to go about bettering my set up on the entry level steel. So I ordered some SIT Power strings 17-56 and am going to level the bridge and set the intonation for the scale. 21" is what it states on the specs. Hopefully that sets me up for success. I have tons of amps and effects to keep it interesting along the way.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a course, book, etc? I'll take any tips I can get. I look forward to reading all that's here and checking out some music.

Thanks for having me!

Matty
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

Andy Volk's Open D book is very good.
https://www.volkmediabooks.com/products ... ed-tunings

My first foray into steel was a Rogue lap steel. I ended up replacing the nut with a piece of angled aluminum I fashioned into a new nut.
Last edited by John Larson on 4 Jan 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Matthew Lyons

Post by Matthew Lyons »

John Larson wrote:Andy Volk's Open D book is very good.
https://www.volkmediabooks.com/products ... ed-tunings

My first foray unto steel was a Rogue lap steel. I ended up replacing the nut with a piece of angled aluminum I fashioned into a new nut.
Thanks for the rec...Lots of good information there and some cool tunes to learn that's in there.

I wouldn't know how to go about replacing the nut. Let's see if I can level it all out first. :lol:
David Irving

Post by David Irving »

Instead of messing about with the bridge that comes with that instrument, it might be worth getting one of the GeorgeBoards kits to replace the bridge and nut, and lengthen the scale. It certainly improved the sound and playability on mine.

https://www.georgeboards.com/kits.html
Matthew Lyons

Post by Matthew Lyons »

David Irving wrote:Instead of messing about with the bridge that comes with that instrument, it might be worth getting one of the GeorgeBoards kits to replace the bridge and nut, and lengthen the scale. It certainly improved the sound and playability on mine.

That’s awesome. I’m currently in a waiting room and can’t really see the options or price. Is there one you would recommend for the rogue? Have you done this mod yourself? Thank you in advance. I’m no tech but I’m somewhat handy.

Thanks again!
Matthew Lyons

Post by Matthew Lyons »

Is the rogue unplayable? Can it get me started and then I can upgrade? Hacking that new guitar after reading those directions seems like a lot. I might be wrong. Again I’m here for advice. Appreciate it too!
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

Mine was fine with the 21" scale length but I had it tuned to C6.
If you find the strings seem too slinky in Open D with the 21" scale and the need for crazy thick strings then the scale length increase would be a good idea.

There isn't really one correct answer. It's going to depend on your playing style.

You can learn to play in tune fine on a Rogue. Is the tone going to sound like a classic Fender console steel? No, but it's fine for learning on.

A better upgrade in my mind would be some kind of warmer hum canceling pickup instead of the chinese strat knock off. Especially for open D if you plan to play with a grittier tone.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Matthew Lyons

Post by Matthew Lyons »

That's very helpful! It doesn't look like the kit will break the bank so maybe down the road a bit.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

I'd say enjoy the Rogue! As John said you may need to experiment with string gauges, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Then down the road, when you catch the buzz, try others out.

Good luck!
David Irving

Post by David Irving »

Matthew Lyons wrote:
David Irving wrote:Instead of messing about with the bridge that comes with that instrument, it might be worth getting one of the GeorgeBoards kits to replace the bridge and nut, and lengthen the scale. It certainly improved the sound and playability on mine.

That’s awesome. I’m currently in a waiting room and can’t really see the options or price. Is there one you would recommend for the rogue? Have you done this mod yourself? Thank you in advance. I’m no tech but I’m somewhat handy.

Thanks again!
The instrument was quite playable when I got it, but I had to mess about with the bridge to get it flat and parallel to the nut. The nut was a horrible cheap plastic thing as well. It's branded "Artist", but I think it's the same as the Rogue, so it should be the same kit.

I managed to fit it in an hour or so, and I'm not particularly handy.
Matthew Lyons

Post by Matthew Lyons »

Joe Burke wrote:I'd say enjoy the Rogue! As John said you may need to experiment with string gauges, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Then down the road, when you catch the buzz, try others out.

Good luck!
Thank you! I'm excited about the new sounds to make!
Matthew Lyons

Post by Matthew Lyons »

David Irving wrote:
Matthew Lyons wrote:

Thanks again!
The instrument was quite playable when I got it, but I had to mess about with the bridge to get it flat and parallel to the nut. The nut was a horrible cheap plastic thing as well. It's branded "Artist", but I think it's the same as the Rogue, so it should be the same kit.

I managed to fit it in an hour or so, and I'm not particularly handy.
Good to know...I'm going to order a kit this morning! Cheers!