Cables

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

The .155 and the .225 George L's cables have identical conductors.

The rubber jacket is the only difference.

The .155 lays flat on the floor and rolls up better so most steelers use these.

Stand up guitar players like the .225 because it seems to hang better.

The tone is identical between the 2.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Larry Hobson

Cables

Post by Larry Hobson »

Even thought it's Christmas I still have two cents worth to add to the info that Jeff Highland posted. The capacitance of anything between the pickup and the amp has an effect on the tone. Cables are the topic, different brands may or may not have the same capacitance rating. Also the rating may be expressed or given in per x number of feet. So the longer the total length from pickup to amp the more you have. So,(for illustration purposes) you could have a situation where say 10 feet of one type or brand of cable may exhibit the same as 20 feet of another company's product. For any cable,the longer it is the more capacitance is applied to the input signal. Why do different cables sound different in reference to tone, I summit it's mainly due to the difference in the total capacitance added to the signal by the time it arrives at the input jack. Due to this added ,or lack of, any additional influence on the input signal from cables,ect , different amps may exhibit more or less tone differences. This would probably be more noticeable in the higher ranges but could and would be reflected in the overall tone you hear. Different amps have different tone circuits and may sound different when a different input capacitance shows up at the input jack on the amp.THUS this is why different cables may or may not sound good on amp #1 but do on amp #2. P.S. I know input load has to be considered but this rant was only about capacitance . O.K. I feel better now,MERRY CHRISTMAS from Alabama.
Last edited by Larry Hobson on 25 Dec 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

I think the purpose of the Freeloader is to add resistance to the various brands and windings of the pickups? So, using the cleanest cables, like .155 GeorgeL, then duplicate whatever cables we're talking about by turning the knob on the Freeloader? It's also a buffer for cleaning up tone when using effects. Rather than switching cables, dial in with the Freeloader? Works for me anyway.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

The Sarno FreeLoader is magical. I love it.
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
George Kimery

Cables

Post by George Kimery »

I have 3 Evans amps and have had a Steelaire rack mount and every Peavy steel amp, including the Session 115. which I currently own. I have had several other amps, including Fender Tone Master, Trace Elliott Elf, Carvin BX 500, 2 Peavey tube amps, Mesa Boogie, and probably a few more that I don't remember.

The bottom line is I have quiet a bit of experience chasing tone, especially the high end.

Here is my advice: If you are having high end issues, get rid of George L cables. Use longer cables, get a Sarno Freeloader.
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Michael Hartz wrote:Mogami W2524 cable with Neutrik gold plugs on them are increadible. Extremely durable with low capacitance. If you have any soldering skills you can order bulk cable and make your own cables like I did.
Back in 1978 I made cables for my rig. I used Belden 8410 with Switchcraft plugs. They'd served me flawlessly, with great audio transparency for about 40 years when the outside jacket started to tear. At that point I decided to replace them.

For cabling, it was a toss up between Canare GS-6 cable and Mogami 2524 cable. I went with the Mogami cable. For plug ends I went with Neutrik NP2X-B, gold plated plugs. I have a 3 footer going between my guitar and volume pedal and a 10 footer from the pedal to the amp
The cable specs for 13 feet of cable are:
Total capacitance: 516.1 pF (or 0.00000000516 farad, or 516 trillionths of a farad)
Total inductance: 0.793 uH (or 0.000793 henry, or 793 millionths of a henry)
Total resistance: 0.13 ohms.

I’ve been using them for about 4 years. They’re very, very transparent and I’m completely satisfied with them.

Keep on pickin’!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Carl Williams

Mogami Gold Cables

Post by Carl Williams »

I invested fairly heavily this year in gear and it all started in January: 2003 Nashville 112 (USA Model and Closet Queen), upgraded with Fox Mod IC Chips, and new MOD 3-spring reverb pan. On to a Sarno V8 Octal Preamp and tied this equipment together with Mogami Gold cables. Pricey cables? Sure they are but so was everything else in my “chain”. I’ve never had a better tone and it’s not just one thing but the sum of everything to include just a little experience 😉. I’m going to enjoy my main hobby of playing/hacking several instruments as long as I can and want to. I’m very fortunate to be able to afford it in my retirement days 👍. Thanks to all who’ve provided feedback (Good, Bad, & Ugly) about all things we steel pickers use….invaluable! CW
Rex Blevins

Post by Rex Blevins »

Another vote for Canare GS-6 !!
Andy Zahnd

Post by Andy Zahnd »

After many years with George L's cables, I came across Vovox. This is a Rolly Royce product from Switzerland. Enormously expensive, but for the last 7-8 years I have never had anything to complain about. The problem with these cables: it retransmits exactly what you play, without change. And it's hard to hear how badly you play :wink:

https://www.thomannmusic.ch/vovox_sonor ... klikli.htm
Steve Rosko

Post by Steve Rosko »

Carl, I also went to all Mogami cables. If you have basic soldering skills you can make your own for a fraction of the cost of the premade ones. For me, this is in the category of; we spend so much money on our guitar and sound gear why skimp on the cables that are so important to that magical sound we're all chasing?
84 Emmons D10 PP, MSA D10, Hilton, Little Walter PF89, PF-350 cabs, blueSky, BJS