RIP Leonard T (LT) Zinn 2/3/2022

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

I still remember the the time he dressed up as the Energizer Bunny and danced across the State when Herb Remington was playing!
Ron Petersen
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

One of the most kind gentleman I’ve ever met. He was always there for support and encouragement to us greenhorns. Rest In Peace dear friend. You will be missed.
b0b

Post by b0b »

rpetersen wrote:I still remember the the time he dressed up as the Energizer Bunny and danced across the State when Herb Remington was playing!
That was so funny¡ I thought I must have dreamed it. :lol:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Fred Thompson

L T Zinn

Post by Fred Thompson »

Rest in Peace, dear friend to all.. Always a hug and kind words.. The true example of a real gentleman!
Glad I was there for the "Energizer Bunny" skit..
The difference between a musician and a savings bond is eventually the bond will mature and earn money.
Paul Awalt

Post by Paul Awalt »

There will never be another L.T. I was lucky enough to see him support the "Steelin for the Hearts" benefits, which he stood out, along with the likes of Herby, Weldon, and Buddy Charleton, always smiling. The best backup comedian steel player there has ever been.
John Brabant

Post by John Brabant »

Sad news. Amazed he was 96, but I guess if I run the years by in my head, yeah, guess so. Was hoping to see you, Neil Flanz and Roy Rosetta in Dallas this year. Tough times. Won’t be the same. Love you Leonard. RIP old friend. Jim Cohen, you better show up in Dallas.
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P
Bernie Watruba

Post by Bernie Watruba »

Lenard was a great friend, wonderful gentleman, great musician. RIP my friend.
Bernie
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I attended a large steel show many years ago (I was not playing). There were probably over 500 people there, and many famous players; the joint was packed. During a lull in the playing, I saw Leonard going from table to table...every table, to thank the people for coming out. When he got to my table, he introduced himself and thanked us all for coming out. Then he noticed a Steel Guitar Forum patch that I had on my jacket and asked "Are you a player?" I told him I was, and he said "Well, I hope you enjoy the show!", and he smiled, waved, and moved on to the next table.

Leonard played rhythm almost the entire day, and though I heard a lot of great players and great music, nothing impressed me more than that smiling old man going from table to table to thank the people for coming out.

:)

Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

I will miss L.T., my friend of over 35 years. We would get together and jam when I lived close to him in Michigan. Those were special times.

He was known to all of us Hawaiian Steel Guitar Players at the Aloha International Steel Guitar Club and the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association Conventions as Pilikia. Pilikia is the Hawaiian word for TROUBLE. L.T. was always up to some prank in our conventions. He pulled the Energizing Bunny on all of us as well. It was hilarious.

At our Hawaiian Steel Guitar Conventions in Hawaii, Joliet and Winchester he would graciously back me up when I played. He was a great backup rhythm player.

L.T. was a devout Christian believer and his faith in Jesus was strong. He is now with Him in Heaven.
Evelyn Whitney

Post by Evelyn Whitney »

We lost him on Feb. 3rd this year. I still feel the hurt and pain of missing him. Guess I always will. Thats O K he deserves all the love I have for him. Thank you, all of you, for your comments about this man. It is amazing to see how much he was loved and how well you knew him
Blake Hawkins

Post by Blake Hawkins »

I have been a L T Zinn fan since the late `1940's.
My Family lived in Southern Pennsylvania and we listened to
the "101 Ranch Boys" on the radio.
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

L.T. Was one of my early mentors along with Roy Ayres.
As a fifteen year old wannabe there was very little instruction where I lived. Every Saturday was a must listen to to 101 Ranch Boys. When that Cimmeron (sp)Roll On
Came on the radio I was lost in the feeling. I met L.T. And Roy many times in my 89 years and have all the respect in the world for both.
A special thank you and God Bless for Evelyn who was the wind beneath his wings.
Willis , better know as Old Bud….
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

The most loveable person that ever blessed the steel guitar world.He lit up up anywhere he went.You will be missed.Those of us that were blessed with his love and friendship will be saddened for a long time to come.Rest in that beloved place with the most highest God LT.
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Evelyn Whitney

Leonard T Zinn Feb 3, 2022

Post by Evelyn Whitney »

I know L T is with Jesus. Thanking all of you again for the sweetest memories about him. Just seems wrong not having him here. I know he loves it where he is. LIfe gets a little harder as we go on in age and his beloved music was missing from his life.
Gary Sill

LT made it his calling to encourage us steel players

Post by Gary Sill »

Every time I played in St. Louis, right after my last number he would give me his words of encouragement at the time every steel player needs it---right after the last note of the last song. There's got to be a main seat in heaven for a nice person as LT.
A beautiful Laquer Mullen G2, 2 Nashville 112's, Evans 10" R150 Amp,1982 Emmons Push Pull D-10, Hilton Pedals, 12/8 MSA Superslide, Green LDG Sho-Bud-Owned by Lloyd, S-6 Fender 1956 Lap. , Gretsch Country Gentleman, Gibson 5 string 2002 banjo, 1953 D8 Fender Stringmaster, reconditioned completely, red Gibson 2019, ES 335, Quilter Steelaire, Gretsch Resonator, Eastman mandolin
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Miss you, LT. What a smile!