Who plays a Derby???

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Myers

Who plays a Derby???

Post by Bill Myers »

I wanted to start a thread about these fine guitars! I am just wondering who is playing them. I hear alot about many more common brands, but you hear very little about Derby's. I have one and got Jerry Wallace to wind a set of true-tones for it and I think it is one of the best playing and sounding guitars out there....I know that there are some out there on the road too. I know that Terry Crisp has or still does play them...the other night when Trace Atkins was on Foxworthy's big night out...the steel player was playing a Derby. So I know at least a few are being played. All of you Derby players let the rest of these guys know what they're missing!

------------------
1995 Derby D10 8x6 Fender Vibrosonic Amp

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Myers on 21 October 2006 at 08:06 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Myers on 21 October 2006 at 08:07 AM.]</p></FONT>
autry andress

Post by autry andress »

I have a SD/10 Derby & love it. It's stays in tune real well, easy to play & sounds very good. I did go with the L XR-16 pick
up & am well pleased. I use a RV-3 & a Black Box & a Peavey LTD 400.
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

I have two Derbys.One is a SD10 Black Laquer with pearl inlay.I recently installed a Wallace TrueTone in it.I'm not sure if I prefer it over the E66 that was in it or not,both sound very good.
My other Derby is a Mahaghony(look's red in the pic)laquer D10 with the ShoBud type inlay.Both neck's have the E66 pickups,and it really sounds great.I've been told many times they sound really close to the Emmons push pull.The workmanship on these guitar's are 1st class all the way.
Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ronald Sikes on 25 October 2006 at 05:17 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

Autry asked me to post these pics of his custom Derby.Very cool looking axe. Image

Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ronald Sikes on 21 October 2006 at 05:27 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ronald Sikes on 23 October 2006 at 03:24 PM.]</p></FONT>
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

I have E66's in my Derby and think they sound thin, but then I think that was the idea with the pickup design in the first place.

IMHO...

Drew

------------------
<font size=1>Drew Howard - website - Red guitars sound better!</font>

Webb Kline

Post by Webb Kline »

Bill, Roy Peterman, from up in Sonestown, NE of Williamsport, PA, plays a Derby through a pair of NV 112s and it is one of the finest sounding PSGs I've heard in a long time. I think he still plays with Kramer Bros, and he was playing with Tim Johnson but I don't think he's with them now.

Of course, Roy could probably make a clothesline sound good. Image
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Having decided to buy my first new steel since 1974, I spent the last year trying as many brands as I could get behind and listening to every live steel I could find, I ordered my new Derby D10 about 10 days ago, and I am stoked! I will let you when it gets here.
Hank Ruf

Post by Hank Ruf »

I have just bought a Derby D-10 and I think it's the best sounding steel I have ever played or owned. I have been playing steel now for 50 years and have owned and played alot to different steel's in my day including a Zum I owned for 15 years. I have taken it to 2 jams and have had alot of comments about the clean clear sound. By the way the Zum I had was a good sounding steel but I like the sound of the Derby better. I live in Branson Mo. and there are alot of steel players in this area and I only know of 1 other Derby.It's your loss if you haven't tryed one.If you want a clean clear sounding the Derby is it. If you like a very warm sound the Derby could sound like that by changing the tone controls on your amp or change pickups.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Hank Ruf on 22 October 2006 at 04:52 AM.]</p></FONT>
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

godd looking guitar ron, is that the same design fretboard as a emmons?
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

I cant spell good to good.
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

AJ, The markers on the Derby are different than the Emmons.Here's a pic of my SD10 right after I installed the WTT.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Robbie Flint is playing his Derby with Alan Jackson. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10-aka "Redgold Beauty"
Wayne Baker

Post by Wayne Baker »

I like Emmons Steels...

Wayne Baker
Wayne Wallett

Post by Wayne Wallett »

I have a D10 Derby that was supposedly Terry Crisps....has Geo-L Tommy White pickups. I like the tone and the way the guitar plays. Also have Emmons Le Grande D10, and Sho-Bud Super Pro D10. All 3 guitars sound different, all sound and play great. Emmons typical Emmons sound, Derby in the middle, Sho Bud fatter sounding. Play thru Webb, Evans, or Fender Steel King. All sound good but different. Just my opinion.
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Ron did you have that pin stripping painted on latter or is that from the factory? it really looks good.
autry andress

Post by autry andress »

A.J. The Pin Stripping is just painted on.
Any motor cycle/Hot Rod artist can do it.
It holds up really well.
Glad you like it.
Autry
John Cook

Post by John Cook »

Without a doubt, one of the finest steels on the market today. Can't say enough good things about my D10. Black mica, E66's, looks and sounds great. jc
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Wayne....you like girls with red hair,too!
John Hauck

Post by John Hauck »

100% repeat of John Cook's post with the exception of green mica & built approx. 1994.
(# 70)
Wayne Wallett

Post by Wayne Wallett »

One thing I did not like about the Derby. The knee lever brackets(part lever attaches to and fits cross shaft) were very soft aluminum on mine. Had $500 of knee lever work done at machine shop and now its the way it should be. Also had knee levers and floor pedals buffed out to shiny chrome like finish, looks much nicer than dull anodized aluminum. Other than that it's a great guitar. D10 w 9floor, 8 knees.
Mike Martz

Post by Mike Martz »

I got this one in May from Dana Flood. She has 8 & 9, fully polished metal and Laquer finish. Tone is awsome and is awful pretty to look at. I don't post very much but couldn't resist sharing this with all of you when Bill started the thread. The wife even gave her apporval on this one. Now I have two beauties in the house! I think I'm a very lucky guy. Mike
Editedto remove the "y" from Mr. Myers name. Sorry Bill, some days the fingers just don't follow the mind.

Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Martz on 26 October 2006 at 08:01 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Myers

Post by Bill Myers »

Boy, these are some butes! I figured since I started all this that I should put a picture out here of my Derby. So here goes....Mine is and older one with 8 & 6 and I put a set of Tru Tones in it. I am lucky enough to have some guys like Wayne and some others around so that I can hear what a good steel sounds like. I think this one sounds pretty darned good!

John Drury

Post by John Drury »

I think Don Helms has a Derby pedal steel.

Billy Robinson plays a 10 string Derby lap steel.

T.W. played one at one time, I believe that is what he used on the Evening of E9 video with Lloyd Green.

------------------
John Drury
NTSGA #3

Paul Dittmeier

Post by Paul Dittmeier »

Yes, Don Helms and Billy Robinson both own Derby's. I just came from the factory where
Charlie is building my second SD-10. Charlie Stepp and Margit Stepp are great folks to do business with, check out his booth at the Lexington show.
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

Lets not forget Ron Elliot,Llyn Owsley,Jerry Van Hoose.....