Oops….let’s call this send some best of Buddy Emmons Country

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Brock Duos

Post by Brock Duos »

Craig Stock wrote:Brock, Order up Steve Fischell's new biobraphy on Buddy, its on sale for half off.

There is a post here with details, it is a good was to read about the genius of The 'Big E'.
I appreciate the recommendation and will do! Looking forward to learn up on some pedal steel history.
Brock Duos

Post by Brock Duos »

Love both of those. Nailed what I’m looking for and much appreciated sir!! Have an awesome weekend.
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Brock Duos

Post by Brock Duos »

Thank you Scott for all the songs and info!! Sorry I drunkenly accidentally trolled you all and hopefully I haven’t made too many frienemies!
Brock Duos

Post by Brock Duos »

Tasty tune good sir. Thanks a bunch. I’m learning a lot about buddy Emmons from you cats.
Brock Duos

Post by Brock Duos »

Kenny Davis wrote:Pedal Steel should be easy for you...You know what guitar players say about playing bass! :P
Thanks for being so gracious with me! Could have been a lot worse…Hope you have a great weekend and maybe talking s**t is the best way to learn a lot really quickly! Hahahahaha
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Scott!

What a great list you compiled!

Many thanks for including a track from my very favourite album - Glen and Jimmy's 'Reunion'.

If you don't have it, treat yourself to the extended 1988 version which contains virtually every Webb song that Glen recorded (apart from the obvious big hits).

Listen for 'Light Years', 'Still Within the Sound of my Voice', 'Lightning in a Bottle' - some real gems.

Then, if you haven't already got it, buy 'Adios'. More divine Webb compositions: 'Postcard From Paris', 'It won't Bring Her Back' (great mike Johnson steel on this) and more.

(I'm not quite grasping where Brock is going with all this. What has eluded me?)
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Roger, you missed the drunken, early hours belligerence which got everything going. Multiple edits since, though a few posts preserve the tone.
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Brock - No problem. I was a little taken back by your original post title and your verbage. I literally read and responded within a few minutes of it going up. It's probably good b0b includes an "edit" button or this thread would have really blown up! I remembered you being new to the Forum, and most "newbies" admit to being long-time "lingerers" before joining or posting. Obviously, you didn't! I knew you would probably learn about Mr. Emmons pretty quickly.

Anyway, you'll learn a lot here. Pretty much everybody will be willing to offer a helping hand, and that's good. Look forward to hearing about your Pedal Steel journey. (But not over a few drinks :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Thanks for explaining, Ken.

How odd! We don't get too much of that on our Forum, thankfully.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Brock Duos wrote:Give it to me! I’ve honestly love learning the weird quirks and stuff...
Yea, there are all kinds of steel. Ask...and ye shall receive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQnWdkiCzfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55W8kMDm6_w

But I get the feeling these may be a little more up your alley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnCMFecnRjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jyKnLLXPc
Brock Duos

Post by Brock Duos »

Ken Pippus wrote:Roger, you missed the drunken, early hours belligerence which got everything going. Multiple edits since, though a few posts preserve the tone.
Hahaha. Sorry Ken and I appreciate your tolerance. I was talking out of my behind…which is definitely the wrong end! I learned a ton really quickly and you guys are so nice and I appreciate you all!! Buddy Emmons was obviously a genius (both mechanically and musically).

I can only hope one day to even cop one of his tunes! You guys rock and nothing but love and appreciation here! Keeping things exciting out the gate!

Happy weekend and holidays all and keep the suggestions Comin’!
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Brock, you must have realized that posting your original query on this forum was akin to heresy, did you not?
Like running a mobile P.A. through the streets of Boulder yelling "Jared Polis sucks," or through the byways of The Villages yelling "Donald Trump sucks."
Brock Duos

Post by Brock Duos »

Jack Hanson wrote:Brock, you must have realized that posting your original query on this forum was akin to heresy, did you not?
Like running a mobile P.A. through the streets of Boulder yelling "Jared Polis sucks," or through the byways of The Villages yelling "Donald Trump sucks."
HAHAHAH Jack you nailed it. Honestly, consider it blissful un-awareness. :lol: Yeah, i have blasphemed, but a blasphemer no more shall i be. I will learn and pay my respects from now on.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but the time wasn't very ideal.

Thanks for the chuckles with that comparison! hahahaha
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

You made ME chuckle with all you entries. Even though initially abrasive I suspected your intentions were basically good. Yes-you’ve learned a lot very quickly.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Brock Duos

Post by Brock Duos »

K Maul wrote:You made ME chuckle with all you entries. Even though initially abrasive I suspected your intentions were basically good. Yes-you’ve learned a lot very quickly.
The recipe: take a little/lotta crazy, add booze and a strong mindset on a subject at the moment, try to inject some backhanded humor. It honestly came from a place of heart, but kinda got twisted! Hahah I appreciate all you guys!!
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

I actually appreciate the fox in the henhouse, it's been a bit quiet here and it's nice to see some of the hens clucking again, all good stuff on both ends!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

It does have its funny side, Craig. :)
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Yes Roger, I need to hear more about that Jimmy Webb thing you mentioned, luckily, I got see Jimmy last March in a 200-seat theatre close by and he was great, I love his music, if you haven't seen it yet get his book 'The Cake and the Rain" it's really good!

Got to see Glen's last tour also which was great and bittersweet, will always remember that!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

one of my favourites is buddy's playing on george strait's "adalida".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF5GVedC1TU

one thing about buddy (coming from someone who wasn't really clued into his genius when i first started) is the breadth of his talent. a lot of the other players you mentioned really excelled in one style, or with one style of playing. buddy mastered all of it! from 50s to 90s nashville, california pop, texas swing, jazz and even outside stuff.
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Craig:

Campbell and Webb collaborated on an album of more obscure JW compositions in, I think, 1973 or '74; it was called 'Reunited'. It is very good indeed but, in 1988, it was reissued on CD with an additional fourteen tracks.

These were Webb songs that had either been covered by another artist or had been Campbell album tracks. Notably, his LP 'Light Years' was 80% Webb material. These, and others, are included on the extended album: 'Reunited: 1974-1988'. It's hard to come by now but worth the chase.

Be sure to look for the extra tracks and that '1974-1988' on the sleeve. There are some real gems on it.

More Glen Campbell with Buddy Emmons:

Buddy's all over his 1973 album, 'I Knew Jesus (Before He Was a Superstar)' You're the One' has some classic Emmons riffing on the outro.

The CD's worth the price for his version of Kinky Friedman's 'Sold American'.

What a song, and what a lyric!

"Once you heard the Opry crowds applaud,
Now you're hanging out on 4th and Broad..."

"Pawn shops itching for your old guitar..."

"Now they're fumbling through your wallet, trying to find your name,
It's almost like they raised the price of fame.."

And Buddy's intro! It grabs your ear and it's so characteristic of his authority in the studio. He played some great sessions in the early-1970s, didn't he? Sebastian's single, the Ray Charles album and all that work he did when Glen Campbell made him his first call on steel when Glen was fixing the orchestra for a record date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzIiNkA9vDA
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Craig: a PS

An old and dear friend of mine, Texas-based guitarist Larry Lucas with whom I had the pleasure of working many years ago, was recently in touch and we fell to discussing Webb and Campbell.

It's one one his favourite combinations too and we swapped links to various tracks. He happened to ask if I'd read the Jimmy Webb books and I admitted that I hadn't.

A few days later there was a parcel in the mail: two brand-new books, 'Tunesmith' and 'The Cake and the Rain'! What a generous and thoughtful gift! So, in answer to your question, no I haven't but I'm about to.

I didn't mention 'Adios' in the post above. While I can't say that I prefer Campbell's version of 'Adios' to the stellar recording by Linda Ronstadt with Brian Wilson tracking the backing vocals (listen if you can!!!), the plaintive quality to Glen's voice never fails. He was always so committed and engaged when he sang. 'Heartfelt' is the word, I think.
Brock Duos

Post by Brock Duos »

Craig Stock wrote:I actually appreciate the fox in the henhouse, it's been a bit quiet here and it's nice to see some of the hens clucking again, all good stuff on both ends!
If I am good and contribute nothing else, I am happy to keep everything churning! The recommendations from everyone are fantastic and a great way to cut my teeth on some of his repertoire!