Margie Mays

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Sandra Scott-Wall

Margie Mays

Post by Sandra Scott-Wall »

Learned from Don Mays yesterday that Margie passed away after a stint with cancer. A lot of you will remember that Margie played the ISGC many time. She was a very talented steel player and an extremely kind person. Have no further information at this tune. RIP Margie.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

RIP, Margie. She was a very sweet person and a fine player. My condolences to Don and their dear family and friends.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

RIP Margie, She was a guest of ours at the PSGA at leasta few times. She was a nice lady, my condolences to her family.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

Very sorry to hear this. Margie was a wonderful, sweet woman.
RIP Margie.
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

It was always a pleasure to be in the presence of Margie and Don!. Don you are in our hearts. You both have touched so many in our steel guitar family.
May Margie rest in peace, and you and your families find comfort now, and in the days ahead.
Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

I am very sad to hear this.

I first met Don and Margie at a jam session when Don’s job with Western Airlines (purchased by Delta) exiled them to Atlanta in the 1980’s. The humidity didn’t agree with Don and they went back west when he retired. It was so nice to reconnect with them at the Phoenix show years later. They were both great people and Margie was a pioneer of west coast steel, irrespective of her being a woman.

My condolences to Don and the family. RIP Margie.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Indeed I enjoyed this sweet lady and her remarkable skills on the steel guitar. As Sandra stated, seen her many times in St Louis, Texas and other venues. Always a joyful upbeat player and nice personality. Wonderful steel player in all aspects. May she rest in peace. My prayers for her family and friends.
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

Sad news. Margie's playing was a direct link to many of the greats like Noel Boggs and Jerry Byrd. My condolences to Don and family.
Chuck
Michael Greer

Post by Michael Greer »

It was always a great pleasure to see Don and Margie at the steel shows.

Margie was one of the smoothest players I have ever seen on the non-pedal and I enjoyed her playing a great deal.

I will never forget that one year after a special request she added "Moon of Manakoora " to her normal playing set and brought me her arrangement of the song.

Don, I am so sorry for your loss.

Margie, so many will miss you...may you rest in peace
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Very sad news indeed. I always looked forward to seeing Margie and Don at the shows, and over the years my appreciation for her musicianship continued to grow. She was one of the greats, and a lovely person. My thoughts are with Don at this difficult time.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

I was very sad to learn this. Don and Margie were always a delight. I went to Margies house many times for lessons and she was always so cheery and kind. She had "that" tone and touch for everything she played...I loved her playing of Hawaiian tune...I think she started steel at age 8, if I recall. She was a real treasure to the steel guitar community and will be missed by many ! so sad
My thoughts and prayers for Don.
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

I just got a call from Don Mays. Margie’s cremains we’re delivered to him this morning. There will be a celebration of life at the United Methodist Church in Mesa, AZ on December 17 at 1:00 pm. They are such wonderful people, as well as great friends. May she rest in peace….

Billy
Billy & Meriul Easton
Nashville, TN
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

So sorry to lose such a great player and person from our community. RIP Margie.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Rose Sinclair

Post by Rose Sinclair »

Margie Mays was a great steel player, a teacher, a class act, and a big inspiration. Deep condolences to Don.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Don, so sad to hear about Margie! I kost track of you guys awhile back. I still remember the Christmas parties at Blackie"s house wi you as the friendly bartender! JH in VA
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!