VKL too high to reach Any Solutions?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill McCloskey

VKL too high to reach Any Solutions?

Post by Bill McCloskey »

The Vertical knee lever in my sho-bud pro 3 is out of my reach in any practical sense. Is there some sort of slip on extender that would make it easier to reach?
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

I bought some foam rubber, rolled it into a tube and taped it that way, and pulled it over my LKV. Gave me just enough extra size to make it work better for me.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Pool noodle or foam pipe insulation slipped over the lever.
Glenn Demichele

Post by Glenn Demichele »

I put a Franklin V knee lever on my Franklin. The problem was that if I adjusted it so I can hit it, the case wouldn't close. My solution was to cut a piece of plywood as thick as the lever, then glue some heavy (and ugly) fabric around it to make a lever pocket. I then stiffened the fabric with wood glue, then put a layer of silicone caulk inside the pocket to make it grabby. Works great, but I have to remember to slip it on when assembling the guitar.

Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5, homemade buffer/overdrive, Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x BAM200 for stereo. 2x GW8003 8" driver in homemade closed-box. Also NV400 etc. etc...
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Glenn that is something. Seems like there would be a small business here . Thanks for the suggestions.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Bill - I had the same problem. If you have the curved style levers, this could work.

I drilled a hole just above the original hole that set the height. After you remove the roll pin, loosen the screw and nut and move the lever downward to the desired height and use a fine point sharpie to mark the new hole and drill through the bracket. Find the appropriate size roll pin and replace. You can see the bracket through the original hole, it doesn't take much to drop it to a good height!

Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

The LKV on my LeGrande D10 is virtually useless for this very reason. I like to sit to the right behind the guitar and that means my left leg is already somewhat extended; engaging that KL is next-to impossible. To make things harder, the LKV is mounted about three inches in from the rear apron.

It's different with the vertical on my C6 - it's easily reachable because it's centrally-placed and is mounted right behind the rear apron. Currently, that's raising both Es to F and very useful it is.

I love my Emmons, but those almost-non-adjustable verticals are a real challenge. It sounds like a potential cottage-industry for someone. :)
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
John Drury

Re: VKL too high to reach Any Solutions?

Post by John Drury »

Bill McCloskey wrote:The Vertical knee lever in my sho-bud pro 3 is out of my reach in any practical sense. Is there some sort of slip on extender that would make it easier to reach?
Bill,

You could always make a flag for it.

Had that problem with my PRO-I and wound up making an extended crank and a real long lever.

Not a big fan of non standard parts but.........

John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

I had the same problem on the Vertical Lever for my C6th neck

'had a spare knee lever, so shortened it and rounded the ends......into a "stub"

'Went to Lowe's and bought short piece of aluminum channel the same width as existing vertical lever on my steels.

Glued the "stub" to the aluminum channel, and glued short piece of Velcro inside the channel

Applied 'receiving strip' of Velcro on bottom of existing Vertical lever

Sturdy and simple to attach and remove

Same method may work for you -

Ron
Last edited by Ron Funk on 26 Nov 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and inventions. I do not have the tools or skills to do most of the suggestions here, although I got some ideas of what might work. I think there is a small business here for someone.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Get some soft foam pipe insulating tubing (not the rigid stuff) at the hardware store. Cut it to length with a pair of scissors. Skill Level: 0.5/100
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Yeah, that was my thought Fred
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Maybe this will work? :)

Billy McCombs

Post by Billy McCombs »

78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Jerry Horch

Love it

Post by Jerry Horch »

Bill..that last idea could come in very handy for outdoor gigs...
Franklin D10 /Walker Sterio Steel JBL's /DigiTech Quad4/ Korg Toneworks/ Dobro DM 1000 / Santa Cruz Guitar VA
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

😂Definitely the right idea!
Bill McCloskey wrote:Maybe this will work? :)

But try this
Depending on how stiff the lever is, there will be some give in the foam. But it should reduce your kick-up by at least 1/2”.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

I put a short piece of pedal rod on both of my MSA verticals with a ball and socket. Set it to the height that I want and unhook the ball from the socket like a floor pedal connector and let the vertical lay down inside the guitar when it is unhooked. Works great.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Steve Spitz

Hight

Post by Steve Spitz »

I’ve used Bicycle (BMX style) hand grips, and golf club hand grips . They slipped over the levers, and were really comfortable.

I’ve also used hard foam and a thin zip tie or two on RKR. Feels good, works good.
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Here's what I did with a previous Rittenberry:

All three left levers are 1/4" aluminum channel stock. The vertical has the wood piece screwed to it. All easily removable and very firm and rigid when installed. These all folded up and fit in the case when attached.
Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Has anyone thought of strapping something to their leg? Like a sock wrapped in elastic around the thigh?
Glenn Demichele

Post by Glenn Demichele »

Maybe you'd look pretty goofy on break...
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5, homemade buffer/overdrive, Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x BAM200 for stereo. 2x GW8003 8" driver in homemade closed-box. Also NV400 etc. etc...
Richard Alderson

Post by Richard Alderson »

Vertical knee levers on some guitars are just better placed than others and that's why body fit is so important, or even a critical and determining variable. Also a great vertical lever will not only be within reach, it will engage and change the string pitch just by moving the lever up a fraction of an inch, by barely touching it upwards.

This is not really a solution but ............Since you are just starting out you can concentrate on A & B pedals and E levers until next spring, and by then you will have either gotten a different instrument or you will have done some sort of a vertical flag on the one you have got. Using the B flat vertical lever tends to come later in most instructional sequences, and there's always a way around it just for one note in one song.
Derby SD-10 5x6; GFI S-10 5x5; GFI S-10 5x5; Zum D-10 8x7; Zum D-10 9x9; Fender 400; Fender Rumble 200; Nashville 400; Telonics TCA-500.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Clear tubing from Lowes or Home Depot, comes in various sizes and slips right over the VKL. I use a large size on at least 3 levers.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Just to add, Richard:

The B to Bb is so important to me that I wouldn't dream of having it on a lever that was in any way difficult to engage.

I have it on RKL.

I'm looking forward to my Williams: their VKLs are infinitely adjustable. :)
Patrick Timmins

Post by Patrick Timmins »

Had a client a while back with the same issue and wound up fabricating a dog leg lever similar to this one. Probably should have took a picture of it. This one is a dog leg lever for skinny legs.

It folded away perfectly and could be returned to factory condition with the old lever in a couple of minutes. Would be pretty easy for any little machine shop in your neighborhood.

Patrick.
Microphones, Recording, and lots of pedal steel guitars!