Anyone in Ames Iowa area to change Day to Emmons on Carter

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Lenhart

Anyone in Ames Iowa area to change Day to Emmons on Carter

Post by Larry Lenhart »

I plan to be in Ames the week of December 3 to 10...I have a friend who has a Carter pedal steel that wants it changed from Day to Emmons set up. If there is anyone in the Ames area who could do that during that time period, I would like to hear from you. I live in Oklahoma and am driving to Ames to visit my sister, but of course it will depend on the weather conditions, which I know are iffy at that time of the year. Thanks in advance.
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

It's a long shot but possibly DeVere Adamson in Indianola might be able to help you. He is getting up in years but he had his own steel guitar shop for years. If it's a matter of just switching pedals and knee levers around, just take a lot of notes and pictures of where things are now and then use them for reference when switching.
For instance take pics and make notes of where the pull rods are on the pullers and thru the changer on pedals A and C are. Then using those pics and notes switch the pedals.

The knees are basically the same you might have to do some travel adjustments on some things but they would be minor. Adjust stops and travel for the thinnest string on the change. That will give you plenty for the thicker ones.
2013 Williams D-10, 2019 Williams D-10, 1970 Fender Twin, Evans SE200, Fender Tonemaster Twin, Hilton pedal, Jagwire Strings.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

The problem with Carter steels, is for some crazy reason they put Loctite on those tiny Torx head machine screws, and they can be really tough at times, and quite time consuming.. It might not be realistic to think its something where you can drop it off and go out for lunch, come back and its done. I did see that you will be there for a week or so, so I imagine thats enough time for a guy that knows what he's doing. I know that if I get another Carter through here for copedent work, it won't be a "waiter".. It will be, "drop her off, and when its done its done... I'll give you a call".. Seen enough Carters to know those tiny screws can be stuck on real good..... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »