Bought a Sho-Bud Fingertip. Help/Ideas with fixing it up?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian McCulloch

Bought a Sho-Bud Fingertip. Help/Ideas with fixing it up?

Post by Brian McCulloch »

Hi Yall, I got this groovy old Fingertip from the sixties a few weeks ago and I have been getting it fixed up. Ive been a guitar tech for years, but this is my first pedal steel guitar and I am having a ton of fun learning to play. However I notice there are some "eccentricities". Can some of the more seasoned vets take a look at this and tell me what's up? I am definitely willing to do some basic upgrades to make it a better player. It looks like there are some knee levers and pull rods that have been removed, and perhaps some that were once DIY installed and later removed.

The action isn't necessarily "bad" on this guitar. But the pedals are quite inconsistent in feel.
Would it be beneficial to swap in spring loaded barrel adjusters?
any ideas on attaining a smoother action on this beast?

Bob Muller

Post by Bob Muller »

If you attached the pull rods to the changer like this photo
it will take some slop out of the action. There are also other things that can be done.

Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

A real beauty- but I would take the entire thing apart, including the changers. Clean and burnish every part including the bell cranks and cross shafts making sure there are no worn spots where the bell crank set screws sit on the cross shafts. I would also change every set screw including those on the collars.

Big project but worth it. enjoy ! :D
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website