Twenty Small Cigars (F. Zappa)

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jan Jonsson

Twenty Small Cigars (F. Zappa)

Post by Jan Jonsson »

Hi,

In contrast to many other musicians I never managed to produce any home recordings during the pandemic. Instead, I spent all of my time and energy on adapting courses at my university to remote teaching. Well, with that done I have finally found the time to revive my home recording equipment and also managed to find new musical inspiration in the process.

Here is my first post-pandemic home recording: a rendition of Frank Zappa's "Twenty Small Guitars", performed on a Desert Rose steel guitar and a Fender Nocaster. Accompanied by a small software trio on drums, acoustic bass and piano.

https://soundcloud.com/janjomusic/twenty-small-cigars

Best regards,
/Jan
CDs: Waltz for Elma (2015), Steel Reflections (2009)
Gear: 10-string Desert Rose "Delta Blues", Fender Deluxe 8, Fender CS Nocaster
Transcriptions of Lloyd Green's music: www.lloydgreentribute.com (Tablature menu)
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

very cool! sounds great Jan
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Great stuff, Jan!
rick andrews

Post by rick andrews »

Nice work on one of the mad genius's pieces.
Bill Sutton

Post by Bill Sutton »

Awesome Jan...Its good to here from you...Its been A while. I Love your Music. And I really love your tablature on Lloyd Green's Music...Best there is. I got A great compliment from Lloyd himself on A song called "Venus Moon" that I learned with the help of your great Tablature. Lloyd said that "Most but not All the positions I used were the Same that he used"...Your tablature for that tune was very precise...Lloyd himself said so. I cherish that Compliment that my Steel Guitar Hero "Lloyd Green" gave me. Thanks for this post Jan...You are A great Steel Guitar picker...and A great Transcriber.

Bill S.
Jan Jonsson

Post by Jan Jonsson »

Thank you for the kind comments. This tune has been on my wish list for a long time, so I'm glad I finally managed to record a version of it.

Inspired by Zappa's guitar sound on the original recording I also a made special mix of the tune, using a DAW auto-wah plug-in on the pedal steel fills in the second verse:

https://soundcloud.com/janjomusic/twent ... ah-version

Bill: I am pleased to hear that you have found my transcriptions useful. It was an extra bonus to hear that you got compliments from Lloyd himself.

Best regards,
/Jan
David Dorwart

Post by David Dorwart »

Outstanding!