My '66 Emmons is still TOP DOG in my book!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nick Reed

My '66 Emmons is still TOP DOG in my book!

Post by Nick Reed »

It never ceases to amaze me what a treasure of a guitar I've had for the past 10 years. I'm talking about my old black '66 Emmons bolt-on P/P. I think it's still the sweetest sounding axe I've ever set down to. For the past couple of months or so, I had been playing my LeGrande III most of the time. But this past weekend I decided to get the ole '66 out and gig with it. All I can say is WOW! Talk about cuttin through the ice. . . .man it just makes the hair on my neck stand up when I make it cry. I played it through my Fender Twin Reverb with a BOSS RV-3. Even my wife Linda commented to me, "that old Emmons sure does sound good tonight"!
Now I know theres alot of great guitars being built today, but I just couldn't resist braggin again about my 40 year old Steel Guitar that still kicks butt when it comes to tone. After not playing it for the past few months, I was just totally knocked out when I heard it. Thank you Mike Cass for selling this guitar 10 years ago, and thanks to all of you who didn't mind me posting about this. Nick

Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 13 November 2006 at 08:21 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

I love my Emmons also, Nick.It's not as old as yours,it's an an oddball... a 90's Black,Lashley LeGrande.
Best steel I ever had.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Shefrin on 12 November 2006 at 05:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Nigel Mullen

Post by Nigel Mullen »

I have one also Nick. Sounds and plays like a million dollars. Would'nt trade for any guitar I've seen so far. Love the thing. Nigel
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

I've been playing my Zum SD-12 or my 71PPSD-12 for the past few months and I used my 75 d10 PP(wood/wood) with original 75 single coil pu's the other night on a session and I can really relate to what your talking about.
Mike Cass restored her for me a few yrs back and she plays like butter and sings like an angel!
JE:-)>

------------------
Emmons D10PP 8/4 -75'
Emmons SD-12PP 3/4
Zum SD-12 5/5 - 91'
75'Session 400
06 Nashville 1000
06'Nashville 112 x 2
w/Knob-Guard

T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

Yup, nothin' quite like a bolt-on. I am very fortunate to have two and they are both pretty special. One has single coils and the other has dual coils. They both sound just great but man does that dual coil guitar roar! Nick, it looks like you have solid black bobbin pickups like those that would be found on a '65 wraparound. Are they original?
TC
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

TC Furlong,
Yes Sir yer right, those are the original single coil Emmons pickups.
I also have another Emmons bolt-on guitar. It's a '66 S-10 P/P. . .and it's also black like the D-10 in the picture. I call the pair Big Brother & Lil Brother.

Nick<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 13 November 2006 at 01:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Nick, I agree. I have heard thre masters play on their modern steels and they sound good, but I have also heard the masters play on their push pulls and the vintage push pulls beat the modern guitars hands down. Thats why I play a 68 ZB. I'm sorry but there is just something great about those push pulls. Fabulous sound.
Bill Mayville

Post by Bill Mayville »

Nick.You probably have one of the best sounding guitars ever made.I think My Jackson sounds great, but all talk about the sound really goes to the PP Emmons.
Not Zum or anyone.I think I would have one ,but scared of keeping it in tune.I guess you must get used to it.According to Bobbe, the sound comes right up to your hands. Other guitars it possibly goes right to the legs and down.
I hope you do a Mp3 with the emmons pretty soon.
I told my wife the Jackson was it. We'll see.
Bill
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Nick,
That Emmons is, in my mind, one of few benchmarks in pedal steel. Yours is beautiful and I am sure has the tone to match.
I have recently rediscovered the vintage MSA tone. My newly acquired pristine 1973 D-10 MSA Classic has a most unique and desirable tone along with it's beautiful and very prestigious appearance. No surprizes though, it was machined and manufactured by the same esteemed folks that manufactured my MSA Milleniums, which simply are the most reliable,consistant quality and best tone available for my money. Of course, my opinion.
Anyway, beautiful guitar you have there Nick.
Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

Just think in 66', an Emmons was pretty much a new guitar on the market. And now 40 years later? Looks like Ron & BE new what they were doing, uh! Wonder how many of todays guitars will be around in 40 years?
Randall Miller

Post by Randall Miller »

Nice looking steel there Nick. I think Black was a very popular color back then. I have a 1971 Rosewood Emmons D-10, 8/7, and I have never owned or played any other, so I can't compare it to any others steels really.
I haven't been playing music for the past 26+ years as I got into others things, and working rotating shift work doesn't help any either.
I took my Emmons out of its case a month ago for the first time in over 26 years as I was thnking of selling it....figuring I would never play in a band again anyway.

But after setting it up and cleaning it and putting on a new set of strings, and then firing it up....well, I can't bring myself to put it on the market just yet!
When I play it, the sound... it still gives me shivers up my spine and raises the little hairs on my arms....well, you all know what I mean....!

------------------
1971 Emmons D-10 8/7 #1568 D, Rosewood

Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Randall,
I've also got a '71 Rosewood too! It's serial #1621 D.
Nick

Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 14 November 2006 at 09:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

Nick I have 1973 Emmon I bought in 73 and it still plays as good today as it did in 73, wouldn't trade for anything out there now, what a great tone and wonderful steel guitar
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

Bill Mayville, I have owned many steels and I will say that keeping a P/P in tune has never really been an issue. I will go as far as to say that my '65 wraparound stays in tune easily as well as the space-age, super modern (and quite excellent) Millennium II that I had for about a year. Some have been critical of the bolt-on for being extra sensitive to temperature changes. I think all guitars are sensitive to temperature change. I would also say that a P/P has less detuning than almost any all pull guitar. (Some call this cabinet drop) BTW What do you call your Jackson? A rotational/pull guitar? I'd love to play one.

The only drawbacks of a P/P to me are: A) you can't do a split pedal because a raise overides a lower B) you probably shouldn't really load up a bunch of knees C) You have to pay attention and keep all of the set screws underneath tight. D) it's not a lightweight guitar.

Advantages: A) tone B) tone C) tone (What was that second one again?) D) it's also not a real heavy guitar. E) cool vintage vibe F) less detuning G) it snaps back for faster pedal action.

I think Ron Lashley was a really bright guy who loved steel guitar and devoted his immense talents and energy to building the ultimate instrument of the day. As Tommy White said, it remains one of few benchmarks in pedal steel. The fact that it is still as well thought of and desirable as a practicle and playable instrument is a testament to Mr. Ron Lashley's genius. Thank you Ron.
TC
Alan Rudd

Post by Alan Rudd »

It's good to hear you're using your twin again, too. I especially liked the sound of your playing through that amp.