changer assy whitch is the best to change to ?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alan Finch

changer assy whitch is the best to change to ?

Post by Alan Finch »

what would the best changer to convert and old fender cable guitar to updated rods
Donny Hinson

Sorry to rain on your parade.

Post by Donny Hinson »

Though others might disagree, I'd have to say I'm not in favor of your idea. One of the biggest advantages of the old cable Fenders is the ability to quickly change setups and try out new pedal moves and combinations. If you converted it to (more-standard) rod mechanics, that advantage would be completely lost. In addition, using a modern changer would likely take away some of that plinky "Fender sound", to say nothing of all the work, time, and expense it would be. Adding the necessary bearings, cross-shafts, and all the rods and pullers would be a ton of work, and would quite likely make an already heavy guitar even heavier. :|
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I agree with Donny 100%. Fender cable steels are a finite resource. They have some good characteristics that later, "improved", steels do not. Rather than alter one, if you want a more modern steel with rods, I'd say get one, and sell the Fender if you have to (or keep it if you can. I wish I had an old Fender myself).
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

I agree with Donny and Britt. So much work to convert the steel--and the cables etc. are part of the Fender sound and mystique.

Keep (or sell )the Fender as original and buy a modern steel.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Even ignoring the Fender sound and easy to change copedents, just the sheer work and expense involved would scare me to death. You probably wont find a changer that would just drop into a Fender PSG. As some have said, the cost of undercarriage parts will be expensive. Not worth it in my mind.

Sell it and buy another guitar if you want the newer (different) pull system.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I'm curious to know if you have a complete, functioning Fender pedal steel guitar or just a wreck of one that has already been gutted and robbed of its parts.

~Lee