James Burton on Pedal Steel with Ricky Nelson

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andy DePaule

James Burton on Pedal Steel with Ricky Nelson

Post by Andy DePaule »

James Burton on Pedal Steel with Ricky Nelson.
Someone posted this on Facebook this morning.
Thought I'd pass it on. :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Rick McNamara

James Burton PSG with young Ricky Nelson

Post by Rick McNamara »

Hey Andy,

Ricky Nelson looks young enough to still be doing the TV show with his family. I think I have YouTube of James Burton doing songs with Ralph Mooney. A sad day when Ricky and most of the band died.😔
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Very cool picture. Nice old Rickenbacker steel.
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Are all three guitars Rickenbackers?
Ricky with three Rickys?
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Garry Vanderlinde

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

"most of the band died"

All of the band died...
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Did Burton actually play steel guitar? I thought I read that these were just promo pics for Rickenbacker ads when these pics first started appearing on FB. Notice both James and Ricky at the same steel with the same background.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Richard Sinkler wrote:Did Burton actually play steel guitar? I thought I read that these were just promo pics for Rickenbacker ads when these pics first started appearing on FB. Notice both James and Ricky at the same steel with the same background.

That's my thought - just promo ads
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Could be James plays a little. Maybe someone on one of the Telecaster forums knows.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

A promo, definitely.

James Burton dabbled in steel but was an effective resonator player. He can be heard to good effect on Rick Nelson's two mid-'60s albums: 'Bright Lights & Country Music' and 'Country Fever'.

The band that perished in the tragic NYE air crash were his later road band which included the excellent Bobby Neal on guitar. This was the group that succeeded the Stone Canyon Band.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Looks like Ricky had an endorsement agreement with Rickenbacker. All of the gear in the photo at the top is Rickenbacker, including the amps.

Here's another shot from the photo session:

Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

At least Randy Miesner and Tom Brumley were spared in the crash, having left the band previously:-)
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Roger, I knew Bobby Neal quite well. He worked at Ben Jacks Guitar Store in Ft.Smith, Ark. I lived 30 miles West of there then and as now. He work as a sales person, guitar teacher and an all around store guy. Very nice young man and easy to talk to. Was so far ahead of me I could not understand. But he and Ben work the area in a band called Jerry Jay & The Jay Walkers or something like that. I have an album of them that is very cool. I saw them several times in concert and Bobby was an awesome picker. So sad he left us so soon. J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Andy DePaule

Trading off?

Post by Andy DePaule »

Garry Vanderlinde wrote:Image
For sure a promotional photo and from this it looks like the were trading off instruments for the photo shoot.
Back then it was common for instrument companies to help sponsor big known names & bands by having them all use that companies instruments.
Remember The Ventures all had Mosrite guitars and The Glenn Campbell hour all had Ovation's. :D

I sponsored my brother with one of my hand made electrics with his name on the bridge in pearl when he played guitar in the Charlie Musselwhite band, but it did me no good because he never took it to gigs! He said he didn't want it to get damaged... :lol:

In the 60's I played a Pre-CBS Fender Jazz Bass, but I had to get my girlfriend to sponsor me because I didn't have the $140.00 it cost at the pawn shop! :lol:

Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
Andy DePaule

Re: James Burton PSG with young Ricky Nelson

Post by Andy DePaule »

Rick McNamara wrote:Hey Andy,

Ricky Nelson looks young enough to still be doing the TV show with his family. I think I have YouTube of James Burton doing songs with Ralph Mooney. A sad day when Ricky and most of the band died.😔
Yes I remember when I was a teen I'd watch the Ozzie & Harriet show every week just to see Ricky play for the swooning girls.
Indeed it was a very sad day when he was lost with his entire band and the crew in the plane crash. :cry:
The same way we lost Otis Redding and his band just before his first big hit got to #1 in the carts. It was Sitin On The Dock Of The Bay. :cry:
Dave Mudgett

Re: Trading off?

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Of course, promo shots. But James played Dobro on sessions quite a bit, and it wouldn't surprise me if he played some electric steel. And yeah, we lost a lot when we lost Rick Nelson and his band. Man, being constantly on the road can be dangerous, there are obviously a lot of examples.
Andy DePaule wrote: I sponsored my brother with one of my hand made electrics with his name on the bridge in pearl when he played guitar in the Charlie Musselwhite band, but it did me no good because he never took it to gigs! He said he didn't want it to get damaged... :lol:

Nice guitar! Yeah, I can see why he'd not want to damage it. But they are made to be played.
In the 60's I played a Pre-CBS Fender Jazz Bass, but I had to get my girlfriend to sponsor me because I didn't have the $140.00 it cost at the pawn shop! :lol:

Cool bass. Is that you? Nice pompadour. On the bass 'sponsorship' - reminds me of the old joke, "Q: What do you call a musician who breaks up with his girlfriend? A: Homeless." :lol:
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Dave,
He maybe would have been safer on the road, they died in an airplane crash.
Erv
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Probably in that case, Erv. Hindsight is 20/20. But there have been lots of musicians lost in vehicle crashes too. One list here - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/musicman ... r_crashes/
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Dave,
Yes, of course.
Erv
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

These are the two albums by Rick Nelson that feature James on Dobro and, of course, guitar.

Released in 1966 and 1967, they coincided with my dawning interest in country music.

Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Burton definitely played some basic pedal steel, and periodically played it on stage early-on with Ricky. It came up in an employee/endorsee bs'ing session in the Fender NAMM rom around 2001

I saw James on guitar twice live - once with Ricky Nelson at Knott's; and the other an insane gig at Magic Mountain where my bluegrass band played two afternoon sets; then the REAL show started in the evening with the Flying Burrito Brothers (Sneaky on Steel, Gene Parsons on drums, Skip Battin on Bass, Gib Gilbeau on fiddle & rhythm guitar and Joel Scott Hill fronting the group and playing lead guitar - one of my all-time favorite lineups)...

Then EmmyLou Harris and The Hot Band came on - with Burton AND Bob Warford trading lead guitar parts. She always turned the Hot Band loose (usually either James, Bob, Albert Lee or Frank Reckard on lead guitar) and Hank DeVito on steel.

It was a HOT day, the stage was outdoors, I felt like hammered buffalo droppings after playing - but you couldn't have dragged me off my chair in the sound booth with a bulldozer! I just wish I'd taped it! Both bands were really "ON"...
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Rick McNamara

Burton PSG with Ricky Nelson

Post by Rick McNamara »

Hey Andy,

To clarify my point on “most of the band”, my thought was concerning Tom Brumley not being on board.

I had the good fortune of talking with Tom, Maurice Anderson and Herb Remington when my family and I had the table next to them for breakfast at Scotty’s PSG Convention Hotel in 1981.

I was not trying to minimize the loss of life that day, just relating it to someone I had met who played PSG for Ricky.

Rick
Andy DePaule

Well Dave truth is

Post by Andy DePaule »

Well Dave truth is this is me with the great hair doo. Some of that hair ain't no longer where it was then, but now it comes outta my ears instead! :whoa: :oops: :lol:

"Cool bass. Is that you? Nice pompadour. On the bass 'sponsorship' - reminds me of the old joke, "Q: What do you call a musician who breaks up with his girlfriend? A: Homeless." :lol: :roll:
As for the joke, Yes she's long gone, but I got to keep the bass. :lol:
Andy DePaule

Re: Burton PSG with Ricky Nelson

Post by Andy DePaule »

Rick McNamara wrote:Hey Andy,

To clarify my point on “most of the band”, my thought was concerning Tom Brumley not being on board.

I had the good fortune of talking with Tom, Maurice Anderson and Herb Remington when my family and I had the table next to them for breakfast at Scotty’s PSG Convention Hotel in 1981.

I was not trying to minimize the loss of life that day, just relating it to someone I had met who played PSG for Ricky.

Rick
I think Tom Brumley left the band before that happened?
Rick McNamara

James Burton PSG and Ricky Nelson

Post by Rick McNamara »

Hey Andy,

Last music I had heard of Ricky’s was “Garden Party” with Tom Brumley on
PSG. It wasn’t until I read about the crash did I learn that Tom Brumley was not onboard. I didn’t know he had already left the band and headed home.

Rick