The passing of Jody Carver

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Greg Sullivan

The passing of Jody Carver

Post by Greg Sullivan »

Hello all,
It is with great sadness that I announce my grandfather, the legend, Jody Carver has passed away. He went peacefully on October 5th with my mother (Marie ) holding his hand. You were all a very meaningful part of his life and were in fact an extended family. May his legacy always be remembered through this forum, his album and the many lives he touched along his 93 year life. We thank you all for your support over the many years.

https://josephjsmithfuneralhome.com/obi ... dy-carver/

The picture was taken in August. My first visit home from Seattle in nearly 3 years
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Prayers for his Family and Friends. Sad news of his passing. He was an original musician innovator and pioneer in the Steel Guitar World!
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

RIP
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Sad, RIP
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

RIP Jody,

I was fortunate to meet him at a PSGA show years ago and he was a real pip!

Got his CD signed and was just struck by his showmanship especially when he whipped out a plastic comb to strum across the strings.

As I recall a lot of his family was there and our President Bob Maikel was so excited that he was there, he was one of his idols, he talked about his days on the Arthur Godfrey days!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Deep sorrow on the passing of this legend. I treasured having Jody as a friend.
Rest easy, my friend.
dlayne

Jody

Post by dlayne »

R. I.P Jody, condolences to your Family and Friends
Dan Layne
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

RIP Mr. Carver. You contributed a lot to this forum and were well liked among our members.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Oh my. Very sad news. Jody was indeed a innovator and historical figure in the steel guitar world. RIP Jody. My prayers for his family and friends.
Joe Krumel

Jody carver

Post by Joe Krumel »

My thoughts and prayers are with you and family
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

So sorry to hear this. Jody was a friend of mine too. I saw him a few years ago, when, he was up where I live. His cousin Arty lives close by to me. He, in his own right, was a steel guitar icon! He had so many great stories to tell.
Now, he'll rest with his wife. RIP. Jody
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I'm so sorry to hear of Jody's passing. A good man. He was my biggest "booster" when I first started playing steel guitar shows back in 1984 at PSGA. He was so supportive and encouraging and that meant so much to me. Thank you and RIP, my friend.
John Pelz

Post by John Pelz »

So very sorry to hear of Jody's passing. As with no doubt many others here, Jody was very generous with his time and knowledge with me, very graciously letting me pick his brain (via email) on all things Fender steel some years back, which was a real treat, honor and privilege. Mr. Carver made The Steel Guitar Forum a special place. Prayers and condolences to his family. :(
Richard Brandt

Jody Carver

Post by Richard Brandt »

Jody and i have been friends since the fiftys.when he purchased the new Bixby he sold me the triple neck Fender custom the one he played on the Godfrey show.When he moved to Pennsylvania we had lunch a number of times at the Milford diner then go back to his house and switch playing steel up in his music room.The good old days are gone when country music was country.Jody,Have a good trip steelin home.
Lazy Dick
John Pellegrino

Jody Carver

Post by John Pellegrino »

So Sorry to Hear About Jody, we send our deepest condolences to his Family
, Jody was a great Friend of my Dads Hank Pell, Jody always called me on my Dads birthday and we’d reminisce about their childhood days in Brooklyn, he was a great guy full of funny stories and it was always a pleasure to be in his company, Rest In Peace 🙏🏼🙏🏼 I’ll miss you 😢
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

So sorry to hear the news. I became acquainted with Jody thru the forum and every so often he would shoot me an e-mail.
2013 Williams D-10, 2019 Williams D-10, 1970 Fender Twin, Evans SE200, Fender Tonemaster Twin, Hilton pedal, Jagwire Strings.
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Very sad news. My condolences to all his family and friends.
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Sorry to read this news. Jody was a one-of-kind original and a very nice man. Last time I spoke with him I had goosebumps because he sounded so much like my late father. He put a lot of effort into his book and it unfortunately never came to pass but he left so many fascinating forum posts and that great Hot Club record with Johnny. Godspeed and RIP, Jody. We never met but I appreciated you very much.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
basilh

Post by basilh »

Andy Volk wrote:Sorry to read this news. Jody was a one-of-kind original and a very nice man. He put a lot of effort into his book and it unfortunately never came to pass but he left so many fascinating forum posts and that great Hot Club record with Johnny. Godspeed and RIP, Jody. We never met but I appreciated you very much.
Sad sad loss, BUT... I have spoken to daughter Marie Elaina Cava Welker who when I said "I hope his book "The Last Fender Guitar" gets published now."Marie-Elaina said "We will get it out. For my dad.."
He was a legend, is a legend and will always be a legend in this world of music & steel guitars. With his passing the copyright issues that plagued publication will now hopefully not be applicable.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

The Hot Club of America lp can be heard in its entirety on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXkOauhTnec
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Mike Gross

Post by Mike Gross »

It breaks my heart to hear of Jody's passing. He was a friend, a fan of my "Swingin' West" radio show in its years and most of all he was and will always be steel guitar legend.
Mike
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

he was my hero.
G Strout

Post by G Strout »

Sad news. But, not unexpected. Prayers for Jody and especially the family. Tough times. Be well.
Melbert 8, Remington S8,Remington D8, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Old Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Another legend gone...RIP
David Weisenthal

Post by David Weisenthal »

This is very sad. I had just recently become familiar with his superb playing. There are great photos at his website if you havent been....

https://jodycarver.com/