Marlen Knee lever, too much play !!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stuart Sawney

Marlen Knee lever, too much play !!

Post by Stuart Sawney »

Hi there all. I have a 1974 pull release Marlen SD10. The Left Knee left, Knee Lever has about an inch and a half of play before it engages the 4th and 8th string to raise ? How can I reduce that play and generally tighten up the amount of movement required ?

Thanks in advance. Best STU
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

If this were an all pull guitar, the following instructions would apply. It has been a while since I had my hands on this one and I cannot recall if the Marlen pull-release requires the slack in the raises to accommodate the lowers, the way you have to do with a push-pull. What you can do is activate the E lower lever and observe if it takes up that slack in your LKL raise rod. If not, then here's what you can do.

The photo is for parts-reference. I don't have a proper photo of the complete LKL, shaft and rods.

-- Loosen the rod in the bellcrank with the locking set screw. (green)
-- Pull most but not all of the slack thru and lock it back up.
-- Screw the lever stop screw until the strings are in tune (pink).
-- Fine tune with the nylon nuts.

Stuart Sawney

Post by Stuart Sawney »

Wow you guys are all over it !! Thanks Jon, thats really good info. I will have a look at the steel later. Pretty sure that your info / system will do the trick. Thanks again STU
Stuart Sawney

Post by Stuart Sawney »

Hi again Jon, I've had a quick look and I think you are right. I will try loosening the rod in the LOW E bell crank, it looks like I will also need to do the same on the HIGH E bellcrank. ( your photo with the 'green ' arrow ) I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow. Thanks again. Best STU
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Oh -- I definitely meant that you should do both. Sorry for any lack of clarity.

That photo is not even either of the E strings. I just used it to illustrate the parts in question.
Stuart Sawney

Post by Stuart Sawney »

Copy That John. You've been a great help. Thanks again
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

Jon Light wrote:If this were an all pull guitar, the following instructions would apply. It has been a while since I had my hands on this one and I cannot recall if the Marlen pull-release requires the slack in the raises to accommodate the lowers, the way you have to do with a push-pull. What you can do is activate the E lower lever and observe if it takes up that slack in your LKL raise rod. If not, then here's what you can do.

The photo is for parts-reference. I don't have a proper photo of the complete LKL, shaft and rods.

-- Loosen the rod in the bellcrank with the locking set screw. (green)
-- Pull most but not all of the slack thru and lock it back up.
-- Screw the lever stop screw until the strings are in tune (pink).
-- Fine tune with the nylon nuts.

Since this thread seems to have reached a conclusion. @jon light for this particular guitar, can I ask how one would add/ replace a bellcrank without removing the whole under carriage.? In other words how do the cross rods remove. This is just a hypothetical question.